Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on Ronald Styles, 2nd btn South Lancashire Reg

Guest oldbloke58

Guest oldbloke58

Hello all, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for help in researching my Grandfather Ronald James Styles.

I have information that he was "called up for service" 1st November 1916, saying he was 18 years 3 days.

He was actually born 21st July 1899 ! Making him just over 17 years old.

His Regimental number was 50297, and he was in the 2nd btn South Lancashire Regiment, even though he was born in Pembury Nr Tunbridge Wells in Kent.

He was wounded at some stage, and discharged 13th March 1919, (no longer fit for war service).

Any help or advice where I could look for information would be good.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Entitled to Silver War Badge number B179915 served 1 11 1916 discharged 13 3 1919 Kings Regulations 392 XVI From the SWB Roll of the South Lancs.

Welcome to the Forum.

His service records don't appear to have survived the Blitz, so it's difficult to know when his date of entry was or when he was wounded, but you could take a look at The Long,Long Trail here - under the 2nd Battalion you'll be able to find out which Division and Brigade he may have fought with - and then clicking on the links on the right, follow their history and perhaps your grandfather's service in the war.

There are also the battalion's war diaries at the National Archives, downloadable for £3.30 a file or free to view at Kew) here. Again, this would be for a general understanding of the battalion's history (and it's day-to-day actions), rather than enabling you to locate your grandfather - usually only officers are mentioned by name.

Mike