Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Joseph Harris-KIA 15/12/14- 2nd Btn Rifles

westbrook

I wonder if anyone can assist? I am researching Joseph Harris, who was 21 when he was KIA on 15-12-1914. He was part of the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade, and his regiment no was 4181. Apparently the regiment landed at Le Havre on 6-11-1914, and this troop was involved in the Battle of Neuve Chapelle in March 1915.

However Joe had died months before then. I can't seem to find his service records on Ancestry or medal roll. I wonder what he was involved in during December. I have seen photos of the Fauquissant Cemetery at Laventie, and those either side of his stone were also killed in December 1914.

I have a picture ....post-3225-0-50644400-1415904008_thumb.jp

Any information would be great. Thanks

Westbrook,

Find attached the war diary for 15/12/14 for the 2nd Rifle Brigade.

Andy

post-1871-0-15925200-1415913569_thumb.jp

You may well have this - his SDGW record:

Name: Joseph Harris

Birth Place: Clerkenwell, Middx.

Residence: Chichester, Sussex

Death Date: 15 Dec 1914

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Clerkenwell

Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Regimental Number: 4181

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

His date of entry on his MIC is 9th November 1914 - he's an Old Contemptible.

The War Diaries as extracted by Andy give great context and day-to-day details and are available for download (for £3.30) at the National Archives here, tho' it's very unlikely that Joseph will be mentioned by name.

Here's from The Long, Long Trail - its not allowing me into the 8th Division history at the moment but it's a great site for research:

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : at Kuldana in India. Sailed from Bombay on 20 September, landing at Liverpool on 22 October 1914. Moved to Hursley Park and came under orders of 25th Brigade in 8th Division.
6 November 1914 : landed at Le Havre.

Mike

That is excellent stuff... thank you so much! I have the medal card, but it's the Service history I was after. It appears he was at the Winchester Barracks in 1911, aged 18. I will check out the National Archives War Diaries .. thanks again

Thanks for that.. what a library of information you must have! I downloaded the War Diaries from the Archives, it makes a chilling read. Poor chaps with frost bite to the feet as well as everything else... best wishes and thanks again

The 2nd RB had a pretty torrid first half of the war. All the Rifle Brigade burials in Fauquissant Military Cemetery are from the 2nd RB dating from 25/11/14 until 21/2/15 with a few tragic stories of the men buried there. From this position they then got virtually wiped out at Neuve Chapelle, followed less than two months later by Fromelles during The Battle of Aubers Ridge were once again they suffered very severely. After this they got a breather of until September 1915 were once again they were thrown into the attack during one of the diversionary attacks for The Battle of Loo's on the 25th.

post-1871-0-49511100-1415924012_thumb.jp

He likely followed the same path, pre-war, as my greatuncle, Rfn Fred Peters #3955. He was at Winchester in early 1911 after having enlisted about Oct 1910. His letters home are here.http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101141&hl=%2Bfred+%2Bpeters

Unfortunately, nothing from around the time your man was KIA.

He likely followed the same path, pre-war, as my greatuncle, Rfn Fred Peters #3955. He was at Winchester in early 1911 after having enlisted about Oct 1910. His letters home are here.http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101141&hl=%2Bfred+%2Bpeters

Unfortunately, nothing from around the time your man was KIA.

Great link/thread Dennis - thanks for posting it,

Mike