Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Criteria for medal awards

jobloggs

Hi

I cannot locate any of my grandfather's medals within the extended family. He was Seaman John Cousins D1192 born in Kilkeel Co Down in 1870.

I have not been able to locate his medal card on the national archives site. I know some records were lost in WW2 . I have his service record and I know that he received the Royal Navy Reserve long service medal in Nov 1915.

He was called up on the outbreak of WW1 and served in HMS Dolphin (Submarine Depot Ship) and HMS Excellent (Gunnery School) both in Portsmouth. He was invalided out in Dec 1916 and died in March 1917.

I am a bit confused as to whether he was eligible for the 14-15 Star as he was based in Portsmouth.

I assume that he would have received the War medal and the Victory medal. ??

I have also seen references to a Silver Badge granted to those invalided out of the services. Was he entitled to that? His service record states he was issued with a naval armlet 54854 on discharge.

Any help direction would be much appreciated

This is a duplicate topic - the other one has a different title but same body of text so moderators may wish to delete this one.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220717&view=getnewpost&hl=&fromsearch=1

Steve