Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which Machine Gun Corps?

Jayenn

The only information I can find on Thomas Henry Coppard, during WW1, is as given below and I would appreciate some help with the following question.

From the data below,, would it be safe to say that William was originally in the Battalion MGC and then transferred to the Brigade MGC that, I understand was created later (I think in late 1915)? That would explain the two service numbers, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, apart from his Medal Rill Index Card, none of his other service records have survived so I have no idea when he enlisted.

I hope I’ve got the terminology right as I’m not well-up on military facts and figures.

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Name: Thomas H Coppard

Regiment or Corps: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment, Machine Gun Corps

Regimental Number: 50050, 71507

UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Name: Thomas Henry Coppard

Military Year: 1914-1920

Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps: Machine Gun Corps

Regimental Number: 71507

Previous Units: 50050 Middx. R. A/Cpl, 71507 M.G.C.

His SWB (Silver War Badge) record (Machine Gun Corps service no. 71707) shows enlistment on 8th February 1916 and discharged due to sickness on 17th June 1919.

Mike

Looking at Middx enlistment dates (also on SWB) -

50045 (5th) - 21.11.15

50058 (11th) - 24.11.15

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Well, I managed to find his "Silver War Badge" record (on Ancestry), as per your first reply (and I shall remember how to do that!) but where did you get the second information from, please, regarding the two service numbers? I can't find those on Ancestry.

Also, do the two service numbers mean that Thomas joined the 5th Battalion first, on enlistment, and, a few days later, the 11th?

John

No, sorry, I should have made it clearer. The numbers (50045 and 50058) are of other Middx servicemen but indicate (without certainty it must be said) when your man enlisted. It looks like he joined the Middx in late 1915 and in February 1916 transferred to the Machine Corps.

Mike

• Admin

To MGC 12th December 1916 A.O.? 204 1916

71505 - transferred 12/12/1916

71562 - transferred 12/12/1916

The transfers to the Corps of a relatively large number of men (top number in series 71594) appear to have been in France 71505 only arrived at the IBD in August.

Ken

I think Ken is saying (and I defer!) that the enlistment date of February 1916 is the Middx enlistment date with the transfer in December. I must say with past experience that SWB enlistment dates are usually the original dates regardless of transfers..

Mike

Thanks to you all for your replies!

I'm sorry for being late coming back but I don't ever get an email advising me that someone has replied, even when I tick the appropriate box. I only come back when I remember I asked a question ---- and with my memoery that's not good! Does anyone know the reason? I used to rely on that email.

Well, I did a quick check on George Coppard, the author, but they are not the same. The author was born in Brighton in 1898 while my George Coppard was born in Forest Row, Sussex, in 1871. He had served in the territorials well before the war and entered as a instructor more than anything else.

Thanks Langdon, that did have me puzzled! Thanks Ken - for a moment there I was in the same boat until Ken explained! I never said I was bright!

John