Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Teenage Tommies

Anneca

If anyone watched this programme last night I would be interested to hear their response to the Manchester vicar's son, St John Battersby, who reputedly became the youngest officer on the Somme at 16 years of age. I was surprised to hear this and would like to know if it can be verified?

Anne

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c7vpgg/teenage-tommies

• Admin

There is something about him on pals.org.UK/battersby

Michelle

I carried out the research the Beeb needed on the individuals illustrated in the programme. Battersby said he was 19 when he enlisted on 30 January 1915. His DOB was actually 26 February 1900. He was discharged to commission on 6 May 1915.

Wonderful information - I really wanted to believe this was true, thank you.

Anne

I watched it on the train this morning (wonderful thing the I player). Aside from Feargal Keane looking like he had be dragged through a hedge backwards several times - I too thought it was quite good.

Glad to hear most of you enjoyed the episode! I've been waiting for some time to watch it but unfortunately I am not in the UK so the bbc website won't let me play it. I will never understand why websites do that. What harm would come from me enjoying a 1 hour program of theirs in Canada. I have however bought "Boy soldiers..." by Van Emden which is next in line for me to read. It will have to be my replacement for this episode, which may not be too bad considering the great reviews on this GWF! take care all

For some reason I fail to understand, Mrs Broomfield recorded this. I'm about 20 minutes i and wondering how much more of my life I wish to waste.

Due respect to the experts involved (Mr Baker, Professor Doyle, etc), but really ... do they need to trail relatives around France just to stand and mawk at things their (never met) ancestor might have done/felt/seen/though, etc? It adds nothing at all to the story and merely cynically trying to tug our heart strings.

Much as I enjoyed his book, Road of Bones, about Kohima, Fergal Keane would be better replaced by Fergal Sharkey.

(Mind, points for pronouncing Loos properly).