Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish soldier ID request

heatherannej

Hi All.

I've a family photograph and I wonder if anyone can help clarify/confirm regiments. The photo is dated 1st June 1916, Dainville - it was sent to my Granny by her relative Cameron Highlander David Grant Petrie, who stands in the kilt on the left. As I have interpreted the back, it reads "J or G Kippen, R.A.M.C. (standing)

F. Gillolty R.?G.A. Right (this is probably Gellatly?) Js. Day R.C. (or is it R.E.?) (sitting) and myself. They are "Blair Boys" ... that is lads from Blairgowrie in Perthshire.

Is this a good enough image to see if they description fits the men please? Just that one lad appears to look like a soldier from Blairgowrie who is in a totally different regiment. Many thanks in anticipation. Let me know if I need to get any close-ups needed. Heather

Hi Heather

Could you post the image, please?

Hi .... it came up that it wasn't giving me permission to post so I thought it had all been deleted and here I am back to start again ... but finding it had gone up but before I had attached the pic .....

Here it is ....

post-5774-0-84868200-1415804666_thumb.jp

post-5774-0-25438500-1415804799_thumb.jp

The seated man is possibly RE (Royal Engineers), the badge shape is correct, but can't bee 100% as it's blurred, standing right the man has an Artillery badge, the card reads to me RFA but could be RGA, finally standing central, can't confirm the cap badge due to angle and blurring, but the Red Cross patch on his arm means it's a distinct possibility, I'd go with the info on the card.

Edited to add: -Do you believe the Artilleryman is Fraser Gellatly? 2 MIC's for him as RGA, probably one for a Star, the other for the BW and V medals. There are 2 x John Kippen RAMC, and both seem to have also served in the RE later as Cpl's. There are 15 x MIC's for James Day RE.

Sam

WOW Tim D ..... thank you so much ....

I had some for David Grant Petrie but not all that you listed ... thank you

Thanks too for the clarification on the Kippen and Gellatly named lads and the links .... that has all helped so much. I think it will help eliminate this other lad who is being likened to one in the photo.

Much obliged for all your help - it's much appreciated. Heather

Cheers Heather,

Also added CWGC above. Son of Alex. and Annie Petrie, of "Wellwood," Rattray, Blairgowrie.

Rgds

Tim

THANK YOU Tim and Sam ..... much appreciated. Heather