Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald Benge - 2nd Batt. DLI

GavinP

After the great response to my first enquiry into a relative killed in WW1, I was wondering if anyone might have further details surrounding the death of another relative.

11541 Serjeant Reginald Benge was killed 29/5/1918, but I know nothing about the circumstances of his death. Does by any chance anyone have a copy of the war diary for the 2nd Battalion, DLI for this period. As far as I could see they were not involved in any specific actions on this day. I'm presuming that being listed on the Tyne Cot Memorial, his body was never found/identified??

Reginald is the black sheep of my family tree thus far, almost certainly born on the wrong side of the blanket he is recorded on a census as being a sibling of his mother, rather than a grandson of the family. At some stage the record was clearly put right as the CWGC record lists his mother as being Eleanor Benge which is correct. It also lists a wife, but I've been unable to track this marriage down and see if there were any children or when/where it took place.

• 3 years later...

HHi Gavin  i am Grandaughter of Ethel may lovely   Reginald  Benge  married Ethel may Lovely had a son reginald Benge..   i have some   copy of post cards  he sent to my grand mother.    then married  william Richardson  and had george Richardson Frederick  Richardson and my Dad kenneth Richatdson     second  husband william  died age 34  married fredrick college.  Ethel died aged 80 1978 South Shields