Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilian Casualties WW1

KIRKY

Hi could anyone give me an accurate figure for those who died in WW1 in UK as result of German targeting Civilians by Air and Sea? I thought it was around 700 but a guy I met last night insisted it was 2,000?

Tony

The War Illustrated of 1st February 1919 shows the airship and aeroplane raids over Great Britain during the war and the number of casualties in each. Airship bombing raids caused 498 deaths amongst civilians being 171 women, 217 men and 110 children. There were 58 servicemen killed. In total there were 1236 civilians and 121 servicemen wounded. With regards to air-raids these seem to have been more directed at military targets. There were 619 civilians killed comprising 195 women, 282 men and 142 children. There were 238 service men killed. In total there were 1650 civilians and 400 servicemen injured. Needless to say, most of the airship casualties were on the eastern side of the country as airships had a longer range and ability to travel well off the coast before bearing inland to off-load their bombs. The aircraft casualties were in the Home Counties, and in particular, London, Essex and Kent as this was in fuel and flying range from France.

Thanks for those statistics, Jim.

I wonder whether the air raids from aircraft were actually more directed at military targets, or whether the military personnel in the UK were more actively engaged in home defence duties when the aircraft were deployed by the Germans, and were consequently more represented in the casualty figures.

Phil (PJA)

Thanks for the info , I was way out!

Tony