Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

silver war badge roll

michaela

Can anyone help me understand certain codes and abbreviations on the silver war badge roll? My granddad, John McHolm was discharged in 1918 under KR 392 xvi. I understand this to mean that he was no longer fit for active service. It also mentions (B) I and there doesn't appear to be any mention whether it was due to sickness or wound. On the name previous to his, in the column 'cause of discharge' it states (Authy W.O. letter 6718/L/B medal branch A.G.10). Could anyone enlighten me as to what this means and whether it would apply to all the names on this particular roll.

Many thanks

Welcome to the Forum,

In the top left hand corner of this screen is a link to the wonderful Long Long Trail, it will take you time to navigate through it but in the mean time use this link to find out more about your immediate question : http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/swbrecords.html

Unfortunately I don't think you will find out if it was wounds or sickness. About half of SWB records do state one or the other, yours is not one of those.

BillyH.

Thank you. It also states in the column (b)I after kr392xvi as reason for discharge. What does that mean. Whatever his injury or sickness was, wasn't life threatening as he went on to join the mounted police.

King's Regulations are a minefield in my very limited experience, and most of what you want to know is explained in the LLT link in post # 2

All 7 men have the same note so it is not going to be anything unusual.

By the way, it is actually (b)i that you are querying not (b)l and I also suspect that if you were able to find out the meaning of the (b)i it would be trivial and unhelpful! - but perhaps you could start a new post titled "King's Regulations help required" and briefly explain it again, and giving a link to this post as well?

I attach a clip from the actual SWB record below to help explain further to others ( a picture is worth 1,000 words ???)

BillyH.

post-41657-0-00386900-1415788788_thumb.j

Hi

Found this -

392 (XVI) K.R.

Men who left the army did so under King's Regulation Paragraph 392. But there were many reasons for a soldier to be discharged, and the Regulation 392 had many causes categorised. In this case, (xvi) No longer physically fit for service.

Army Order 265 of September 1917 pertains to the issue of the Silver War Badge. Paragraph 2 refers to classes of individual entitled to the badge and b(1) specifically to those "who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age have been discharged after service overseas in the armed forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct."

regards

Robert