Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform/regiment much appreciated

BernieD

Genuine question here;

King's Regulations (1912) para 1743 states that "Medals which at the end of 10 years, still remained unclaimed, will be sent to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich to be broken up."

Is it possible that this man received his two medals, but that the star was sent out separately and he had moved address, or didn't receive it for some other reason?

Also, does "adt" stand for "adjustment" or amendment to the paragraph?

IPT, 1743KR makes sense to me now, a bit anyway. Sometime between when you first suggested 4124 Edward Donaghie and when Andy provided more details, I went and looked for this Edward's medal card on National Archives site, and downloaded it. The same place where I got my grandfathers and looked for Edwards a few years ago. (PS I know about Ancestry and Find My Past).

When you download medal cards from National Archives there are six on a page, so there is a way to compare the cards you receive. I wasn't able to make out the 1743KR that Andy transcribed. But I took a look at the other 5 soldiers on the card after your last posting.

Now on the 6 cards I received, although different there is one that has a similarity to Edward. The similar one is for a William Donaghey, he was a private in the RAMC (Royal Airforce Medical Corps.?), he appears to have been awarded the British medal (just one medal on his card) and it was also returned. The reason is similar to Edward although less information. But there is one thing in common, they both refer to 1743KR and there is also something else similar between the two cards even though they are different cards. At the bottom right of Edward's card it says 8153/Adt as it says further up the card and on on the bottom right of William's card it says 8071/Adt which is also mentioned further up the card.

From what you say, IPT, this seems to have something to do with King's Regulations (1912) para 1743. So maybe Edward didnt claim his medal and it was melted down (pity). I really have no experience on this, only what I pick up as I go along, and it seems to be another study area in comparison to uniforms etc. You have been so helpful to me and I hope someone can answer you better than me. Best wishes, Bernie.

I am more than happy to accept that Frogsmile.

Bernie, did you know that if it is recorded that he did not collect his medal then you, as a direct member of his family, can still apply for it on his behalf?

• 5 months later...
Guest faulknerfive

I too have a uniform worn by my Great Grandfather that I have not been able to find out any further information. We are sure that the White uniform means something???

All I know was he was in the British Army during WW1.

Name : William John Cooper

post-121811-0-77782600-1429740726_thumb.

Genuine question here;

King's Regulations (1912) para 1743 states that "Medals which at the end of 10 years, still remained unclaimed, will be sent to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich to be broken up."

Is it possible that this man received his two medals, but that the star was sent out separately and he had movedd address, or didn't receive it for some other reason?

Also, does "adt" stand for "adjustment" or amendment to the paragraph?

Yes it is possible that the address changed and the medal returned. I should think that adt probably means amendment, but the context is important in making such things clear and one really needs a copy of King's Regulations 1912 to be sure.

I too have a uniform worn by my Great Grandfather that I have not been able to find out any further information. We are sure that the White uniform means something???

All I know was he was in the British Army during WW1.

Name : William John Cooper

John William.png

He is wearing the white hot season uniform for overseas stations like India, Ceylon, the Straits etc. The helmet is 'Wolseley' pattern and has a puggaree and badge. The chest pockets and white canvas shoes indicate someone a little more senior but I cannot make out if he has a pip on his shoulder straps. I would date it around 1910.