Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Infantry Regiment 169 (Baden Regt 8)

German IR 169

Martin, thanks for posting the complete Westmann  interview.   I believe you are correct when you surmise he was with IR 113 (or possibly, IR's 114, 112 or 142, of the 29th's Divisions 57th or 57th Brigades).   My grandfather's account of Mulhouse, where his IR 169 of the 84th Brigade, ran into much heavier French resistance there then what Westmann described.  His account of the long forests and cornfields also match my grandfather's journal.    It was especially interesting to here him speak of his time at La Bassee in December 1914, as my grandfather was wounded there in early January 1915.  It was fascinating hearing these accounts first hand, as Westmann appears to be about the same age as I remember my grandfather to be when I was a boy.    

Thanks again,   John Rieth

3 minutes ago, German IR 169 said:

Westmann

Yes it is fantastic to hear him talk, strangely the clip plays a little too fast and lifts his pitch too much. 

I was thinking IR113 because he states they marched out of Frieburg and I have seen an infantry card featuring a barracks there for 113.

Yes I think he was talking about the brick stacks - which I am sure featured the following year in the battle of Loos 25th September 1915.

Greetings, this post is in response to Pete's (BKK) post of 20 Nov.   I am pleased to see that my book helped you understand some more of your grandfather's WW I experiences.   Like Otto Lais' story, your grandfather was also incredibly fortunate to survive the war.   Lais' account was indeed fascinating, and we are fortunate to have his story as a core part of IR 169's story.   I've attached a photo of my grandfather's IR 169/109 regimental stein (His Battalion from IR 109 was transferred to IR 169 in 1913).   The stein, as well has a small photo scrap book, were the only items he seemed to to retain after he moved to the US.

Again, thanks  your post.  With your permission, can I add those photo's of your grandfather to my IR 169 website (www.ironregiment169.com)

Best regards, John Rieth

20160921_171006.jpg

20 hours ago, German IR 169 said:

Greetings, this post is in response to Pete's (BKK) post of 20 Nov.   I am pleased to see that my book helped you understand some more of your grandfather's WW I experiences.   Like Otto Lais' story, your grandfather was also incredibly fortunate to survive the war.   Lais' account was indeed fascinating, and we are fortunate to have his story as a core part of IR 169's story.   I've attached a photo of my grandfather's IR 169/109 regimental stein (His Battalion from IR 109 was transferred to IR 169 in 1913).   The stein, as well has a small photo scrap book, were the only items he seemed to to retain after he moved to the US.

Again, thanks  your post.  With your permission, can I add those photo's of your grandfather to my IR 169 website (www.ironregiment169.com)

Best regards, John Rieth

20160921_171006.jpg

John, Now that is a Stein! What a historic family treasure that is with his name actually on it. Incredible that it made it to America in such beautiful condition!!

I would be honored to have my grandfather's photo on your website. Here are some touched up versions. Thank You!

Scan10062.JPG.1b6c29f17e70f64a2adac003d5a88d37.JPG

Scan10060.JPG.6ee870693a2ed715dbb34ec2aeeff496.JPG

1189246552_WW1-Copy.jpg.1a34f6c7cca353ff9ff82230fc460a64.jpg

WW1.jpg.6a4b93d0d677d186ce4155972253093b.jpg

Thanks very much Pete, I look forward to posting it, and will also put in that summary of his service that you put together.  That is some fine detective work there, and indeed, his service does track the 52nd Division History nicely.   All the Best, John

14 hours ago, German IR 169 said:

Thanks very much Pete, I look forward to posting it, and will also put in that summary of his service that you put together.  That is some fine detective work there, and indeed, his service does track the 52nd Division History nicely.   All the Best, John

John,

Here is an updated timeline of my grandfather's service that I have been able to put together from records. It really shows how soldiers were moved around in 1917-1919. It also gives some light into how some were passed around after the war ended. A whole lot of moving around in 2 years.

Travels from St Gallen Switzerland

15 Mar 1917 – Enters Army, 3 Komp II Battalion Ersatz 111 IR Rastatt (#783)

29 Mar 1917 – Basic Training. II Recruit Depot II Battalion 111 IR (#2124)

28 May 1917 – Advanced Training? 2 Komp II Battalion 111 Ersatz (#2030)

20 Jun 1917 – Transferred to 3 Komp Field Recruit Training, 52nd Inf Div in Field

7 Jul 1917 – Transferred to 4 Komp Field Recruit Training, 52nd Inf Div in Field

26 Aug 1917 – Transferred to 5 Komp Field Recruit Training, 52nd Inf Div in Field

8 Sep 1917 - 2 Komp IR169 (#1325)

25 Oct 1917 – Light Wounded in leg - Artillery, Vic Lizy France. Chem de dames

4 Nov 1917 - Transferred to 10 Komp 111IR (#1095)  (Records Correspond exactly to what you stated in your book. He was one of the 110 men transferred)

30 May 1918 - Wounded Left Hand – Grenade. Vic Vandeuil (Spring Offensive)

30 May 1918 - Treated in Field Hospital

8 Jun 1918 - Evacuated to Army Hospital in Riedlingen, Germany

25 June 1918 – Transferred to Convalescent Komp 2 Ersatz 111 IR (#8338)

11 July 1918 – Transferred to 2 Komp 2 Ersatz 111 IR (#2235)

19 Sep 1918 – Transferred to 10 Komp 111 IR (#1095), Battle for Exermont, Montrebeau Woods

1 Nov 1918 – Wounded Left Hand - Grenade. Massive Artillery Barrage. Vic Landres et St Georges

4 Nov 1918 – Transferred to Army Hospital in Biberach, Germany

15 Nov 1918 – Transferred to Convalescent Komp Ersatz 110 IR (Location?) (#9508)

23 Nov 1918 – Transferred to Landstrum Infantrie Battalion XIV/30 Komp 3, Mosbach

1 Jan 1919 – Transferred to 2 Komp 110IR

6 Jan 1919 – Transferred to 10 Komp 110IR (#1364)

17 Mar 1919 – Transferred to 9 Komp 110IR

26 Mar 1919 – Transferred to Dismissal Company Ersatz 110 IR

17 Apr 1919 – Departs Army to St Gallen, Switzerland

Edited by BKK

Some IR169 items found on the net. Interesting the document for the award of the wound badge to IR169 Soldier Franz Alois Lemmen.

Also the Baden Silver Medal of Merit.

In the last entry of Franz Alois Lemmen several of his medals were shown. Here is the silver Medal of Merit, which was awarded to Franz on March 12, 1915.

Together with the medal he received an enclosed certificate from the Grand Duke of Baden.

It confirms that Franz belonged to the 8th Infantry Division No. 169 of Baden. This was a unit of the German -Prussian army, which consisted mainly of troops of the Grand Duchy of Baden and was founded in 1871 in Karlsruhe.

Ettlingen belonged to the Grand Duchy of Baden, which existed between 1806 and 1918.

An interesting blog found here about numerous Baden soldiers from the town of Ettlingen. Individual stories and documents. Go to the blog Archive.

http://ettlingenww1de.blogspot.com/

169.PNG

169c.PNG

9300409886_0c9cd57460_o.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Wound Badge Black.PNG

Edited by BKK

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2018 at 14:00, BKK said:

type "G" in language box and German Fraktur will come up

Have you noticed that the Fraktur option is not available anymore.

Great pictures and certificates, thanks also for posting the link.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, great photo!   This could make for a good 'name that caption' contest.   

"Would you like your Strawberry tart with more or less rat?"

"Heinrich, Germany's original 'Batman.'"

12 hours ago, German IR 169 said:

Indeed, great photo!   This could make for a good 'name that caption' contest.   

"Would you like your Strawberry tart with more or less rat?"

"Heinrich, Germany's original 'Batman.'"

My grandfather did say he ate rats to survive. He said that since he was from Switzerland he did not have the ability to get care packages mailed to him like the German men. The respect for food, and eating your whole plate stuck with him for life. 

I must say, I admire your preservation of history through a commemorative novel.

I aspire to achieve the same with my ancestors - Thank you for the inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little DYI colorization of my grandfathers pics. Not sure if the red on the hat is correct for the unit, but it looks ok for the non experts.

Trench Colorized  Shaded Colorized eyes done.png

Grosspapi Color 1a Colorized Eyes Shading edge.png

Edited by BKK

Nice piece of work, first time I have seen a 169er in color.   I am seeing Peter Jackson's They Shall not Grow Old tomorrow, I am looking forward to the experience. 

John

Yes, I was fortunate to catch the movie today, it certainly lived to the great reviews.   I admire how Peter Jackson was able to capture the plight of the common solder of all combatants, and brought to color the images of what our grandfathers must have looked like and experienced during those days.   I imagine that PBS or other streaming services will have it available before too long/

Regards, John

• 3 months later...

I did some digging on an old family photo we had. At first I had no idea who this guy was, but after looking at the ribbon on his uniform it gave me a hint. It was not an Iron Cross.

I found that in the Baden Archives they have a record of a Wilhelm Glanzmann being awarded the Knight Second Class Order of Zahringer Lion, and Silver Merit Medal. The birth date and name matched my Great Grandfathers brother.

It was awarded in 1915, when he was 42 years old.

It appears in this photo he is wearing the uniform of Landstrum Infantry Battalion Rastatt XIV/42. That unit deployed in the second half of the war to the Romanian front, so I will have to try to figure out what unit he was in 1915. Perhaps when I go to the Archive in Karlsruhe this fall, I will be able to pull out this award document, and see if it lists a unit.

John, how has been your experience with going to the Archives in Karlsruhe??

49454868_267725830590867_3696907337848586240_n.jpg

Capture.PNG

DE694a.jpg

I have been several times in the archives in Karlsruhe. They are very helpful.

Jan

12 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

I have been several times in the archives in Karlsruhe. They are very helpful.

Jan

Thank you! Good to know! I have a few things to look for that aren't yet scanned online.

Thanks for the Karlsruhe posts.  Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Karlsruhe archives, but certainly welcome results of those who have and found information related to IR 169 that members would wish to share.  Perhaps I can post the results of these on my website, www.ironregiment169.com, that those with an interest in the unit can track.

Regards,  John Rieth

On 06/05/2019 at 13:34, German IR 169 said:

Thanks for the Karlsruhe posts.  Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Karlsruhe archives, but certainly welcome results of those who have and found information related to IR 169 that members would wish to share.  Perhaps I can post the results of these on my website, www.ironregiment169.com, that those with an interest in the unit can track.

Regards,  John Rieth

John I will give you a full AAR this fall.

My current plan is as follows:

Drive from Switzerland to Ettenheim in Baden (Great Grand Fathers village).

Check out Bieberach (Where Grandfather was taken when wounded)

Go to Rastatt where grandfather went to basic training with IR111. Look at the Schloss Rastatt where they also have a military museum. 

Continue North to Karlsruhe Archives to look up some things that are not yet online.

Drive out to France to walk the 1918 Aisne Offensive. Leave car in La Maison where IR 169 started.

Take my backpack and walk thru by Juvincourt, past Bois des Buttes, and Stay at a hotel in Pontavert.

Stay in Pontavert 2 days and take numerous excursions on foot to surrounding areas. Tromping through the woods of now remote places. Look forward to exploring Bois des Buttes.

Leave Pontavert and continue walking south following the axis of advance thru Gernicourt woods, Bouvancourt, down to Jonchery, and down to where my grandfather was wounded on 28 May. The town of Favorolles.

Spend the night down there, and take the train back to start point.

Then Drive to Battle of La Maison (Pinon) Area of Operations. 

Check out the La Maison Fort Area.

Check out Hilter's Forward HQ that is just down the road.

Check out some caves perhaps, and the town of Lizy where grandfather was wounded the first time with 2 Komp IR169

Open to any other ideas around here.

Then I will drive to the Argonne and spend a few days walking the whole Allied avenue of attack. Up thru Montrebeau Wood, Exermont, Cote de Chatillon. After that I want to go to the Area where the USMC crossed the Meuse on the last night of the war.

I want to go off the beaten track on this, going places where not many people go. Will take a lot of pics.

On 18/01/2019 at 17:00, BKK said:

Did a little DYI colorization of my grandfathers pics. Not sure if the red on the hat is correct for the unit, but it looks ok for the non experts.

My attempt

(coincidentally my Great Great grandfather fought the 169th at Serre)

bkk.jpg

bkk2.jpg