Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Herbert John Crabb 97233 Tank Corps

jcrabb

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I am trying to find out any information i can on my Great Grandfather Pte Herbert John Crabb, I have found a Medal Roll index which states:

Corps: Tank C

Regtl. No.: 97233

Roll: TC/101B7

Page: 1205

I found the document with which this relates too but it only has the same information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

James

Welcome to the Forum !

The Roll reference you give,TC/101B7,relates to the original Medal Roll which is at the National Archives in Ledger WO329/1775,page 1205. I haven't had much dealings with items for the Tank Corps,so can't say whether the Roll will show your GGFs unit,as Infantry Rolls do. I can say that he received two campaign medals and didn't land in a war zone until after 31.12.1915.

From his service number it looks likely that he enlisted around early 1916,this from looking at a few Silver War Badge Lists where numbers are linked to enlistment dates:

97205 on 9 Dec 1915

97214 on 12 Dec 1915

97225 on 25 Feb 1916

James

Welcome to the Forum !

The Roll reference you give,TC/101B7,relates to the original Medal Roll which is at the National Archives in Ledger WO329/1775,page 1205. I haven't had much dealings with items for the Tank Corps,so can't say whether the Roll will show your GGFs unit,as Infantry Rolls do. I can say that he received two campaign medals and didn't land in a war zone until after 31.12.1915.

From his service number it looks likely that he enlisted around early 1916,this from looking at a few Silver War Badge Lists where numbers are linked to enlistment dates:

97205 on 9 Dec 1915

97214 on 12 Dec 1915

97225 on 25 Feb 1916

This roll is available on Ancestry and the image at http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5119/41629_626640_11798-00293/1493987?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3diwoservicemedalawardrolls%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsfn%3dHerbert%2bjohn%26gsln%3dCrabb%26gsln_x%3dXO%26gskw%3d97233%26gskw_x%3d1%26cpxt%3d1%26uidh%3del4%26cp%3d11%26pcat%3d39%26fh%3d0%26h%3d1493987%26recoff%3d5%2b6%2b7%26ml_rpos%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord, does not give information on the unit.

Mark

Thank you for your time gentlemen, i have had a look on Ancestry but can only find the Medal Roll Index and Card. Which as Mark says doesn't contain a great deal of information.

I was told that at least one of the tanks he served in was hit, but maybe survived and was once on display somewhere? Apparently it still had the holes in it?

My father told me that Herbert would never be seen without his shirt on due to the scars he had on his back.

James

Hello James

Good to see you on the Forum.

Thanks for your email regarding Herbert;s family.

I thought he might be Somerset based so this should help me find out

• 2 years later...

Hi James, I have been researching a fellow in Salisbury called Jethro Crabb who I think was the brother of Herbert John Crabb. They were partners of a garage in Salisbury called Fairway Garage in Brown Street, Salisbury - does that ring any bells? If so, contact me at frogg@timezonepublishing.com

Unfortunately it will be very hard to discover any more unless you can find out which tank battalion he was in.  The medal records don't say, and I'm assuming you don't have any documents or photographs which might give a clue, so it will be very difficult to establish this.  There's no sign of a service record, but his name (97233 Pte Crabb H J) does appear on a list of men who left Tank Corps Disposal Stations on December 26, 1918, so at least this shows when he ended his military service.  Incidentally it's wrongly indexed as "Grabb" on Findmypast, so I have told them about the mistake.

Sorry not to be able to offer any more help.

John

• 2 years later...

Herbert John Crabb in the home guard in Salisbury, part of the Wilts and Dorset Bus Company I believe.

FB_IMG_1558036908618.jpg

Edited by jcrabb

Hi James,

I don't know if you've seen them since your original posts, but FMP have reasonably recently put up some medical records (link) which indicate that he was admitted to 18 General Hospital on 28.9.1918 suffering with severe leg wounds - indicating serving with the 11th Bn Tank Corps at that time. Might be worth having a look at this war diary?

Interesting WW2 photo. The W&D garage site in Castle Street was used (I believe) amongst other things to make wings for Spitfires. As a young girl, my mother remembers being taken there to see her father, who was a charge hand. The site now has a blue plaque.

image.png.0ca58cd3e082252fe60d6e0523a6a535.png

Image source https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spitfire_Manufacture_in_Salisbury_-_Blue_Plaque.jpg

Regards

Chris

• 5 months later...

Hi, I've just seen this - there are some really useful new records coming online, and congratulations to Chris for finding this.

James, the best way of finding out more would be to look up 11th Battalion's War Diary, which can downloaded here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/e244824c6a0642d780efed5a4c6e360e

It's very unlikely to refer to him by name, but at least you can find out more about the actions involving his unit.

All the best, John