Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help identifying a cap badge

GavinH

Can anyone identify this cap badge? It's not the Rifle Brigade, as I first thought. I believed I'd identified it when I found a picture of the 19th London Regiment's badge. But then I came across a picture of the 7th Btn Notts & Derby Regiment's badge.....

Any ideas on how to tell them apart?

Thanks

Gavin

post-23-1099258013.jpg

Gavin

I'd agree with your identification of the badge as 19th London's.

The 7th Foresters had a 'bar' beneath the crown which doesn't appear on the 19th London's.

Hope it helps

Steve

Ps 7th Forester's is shown with 'Bar'

Thanks very much Steve. That's just the sort of info I was after. I was using an old edition of 'Badges of the British Army 1820-1960'. Strangely enough, the example of the 7th Btn Notts & Derby Badge illustrated there, doesn't have a bar either! The example is undated though, so perhaps it is not a WWI issue?.

Regards

Gavin

I'd say 19th Londons. I cant make it out from the photo, but the fact that it was taken in Sutton Veny suggests 19th as the 3/19th Londons were stationed there from about Jan 1916 to Nov 1917 along with other reserve battalions of the London Regiment. I have a few other photos taken there, but have not seen this one.

Anything on the back that identifies these men? If so, I can do a look up on my 19th London database.

Thanks for posting the photo Gavin

Charles

Charles,

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, the card is unused and there is no additional information on the back. I did do a brief search of 'Sutton Veny' on the web. I found that it had been a large army camp in WWI, so I hadn't held out much hope of identifying the regiment from this information.

Regards

Gavin

PS: I've sent you an email