The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with researching

Peanut

I'm trying to find out some information about my great Grandfather's service in WW1. I have a photo of him and would be very greatful if you could tell me anything you can about the unit he served in from it as I cannot find anything out from the records (I have not been able to identify which records are his as there are lots of soldiers with his name). We know in civilian life he was a cabinet maker. My mum thinks he made carts during the war. Obviously it have made sense to put his carpentry skills to use. He lived in London before and after the war and was in his late 20s at the outbreak. What unit woud this be? Can you give me any details about it?

Thanks!

post-117666-0-83070600-1415713027_thumb.

... difficult to do much more researching WITHOUT a Name! :wacko:

What other details do you have (apart from a Name) where and when born, parents, obviously I assume he survived, where did he live before and after the War etc....

Do you have his medals in the family?

They should have his details inscribed around the rim.

Can you enlarge the shoulders and head of the man at the saw? Does look like ASC, but he photo looks good enough quality to confirm if enlarged.

Rgds

Tim D

I've tried enlarging the photo, but it's not good enough quality and you just get pixels.

He was Henry WIlliam Hussey (aka Harry) DOB 9/10/1886 Greenwich, Died 7/2/1961 in London. I think he father was also Henry Hussey, but I'm struggling to track down any of his family members and no one in the family knows.

I suspect any medals past through his son (I descend from his daughter). My mum (his grandaughter) doesn't know of any medals.

I have found a medal record for someone in RASC sharing his name, but can't really understand it. Can you help me translate this: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5119/41629_626640_11848-00147/2064898?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3frank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26gss%3dangs-c%26gsfn%3dhenry%2bwilliam%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dhussey%26gsln_x%3dXO%26uidh%3dag3%26pcat%3dREMEMBRANCEDAY2014%26h%3d2064898%26recoff%3d5%2b6%2b7%26db%3dIWOServiceMedalAwardRolls%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d20&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord especially M2/103500

ive had a look on ancestry and cant find his service record found his medal card really you need a bit more information if poss

would help if you had his address at time which would help narrow it down and father and mothers name and if he was married wife and kids etc

hope that helps

He married in 1913 in Camberwell and had children in April 1915 and May 1919. Father possibly Henry Hussey. Haven't found his mother. Don't know address, but I strongly suspect it would have been in South London.

M2 prefix for this man means Mechanical Transport. He was an Acting Corporal.

I'm afraid that about all you will get from his MIC and Medal Roll apart from the fact he was issued the British War Medal and Victory medal only. This means he entered a theatre of war after 31/12/1915.

Rgds

Tim D

Cant find a marriage at that time on ancestry for you but have found one in 1914 but the name is William Wyman Hussey Kingston Upon Thames, St Luke all i can find in surrey...

But found this lot on fmp any help !

HUSSEY ADA M E 1912 Kingston, Surrey, England HUSSEY ARTHUR J 1912 Croydon, Surrey, England HUSSEY ARTHUR V 1912 Epsom, Surrey, England HUSSEY EDWARD J 1913 Reigate, Surrey, England HUSSEY FRANCES M 1912 Croydon, Surrey, England HUSSEY GEORGE 1913 Croydon, Surrey, England HUSSEY OLIVE E 1912 Croydon, Surrey, England HUSSEY THOMAS 1912 Epsom, Surrey, England HUSSEY TIMOTHY 1913 Kingston, Surrey, England HUSSEY WILLIAM J 1912 Croydon, Surrey, England HUSSEY WILLIAM W 1914 Kingston, Surrey, England