Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries

Len Trim

Hi all,

Got a flyer from Naval -Military Press about a new product. All the battalion war diaries of battalions that fought on the Western Front on DVD for £350 (early bird offer rising to £450 on the 22nd December). Possible drawback is it appears that what you get in your hand is a DVD containing an index and then using that you download (from 'the cloud' ie. a server somewhere)and or print out the page, chapter or entire diary that you want. Reading the small print it does look as if you could eventually download everything to your hard drive but you would need at least 400 GB.

PS I have no connection with Naval-Military Press but thought that some members would be interested.

Be aware that the "early bird" price of £350 does not include VAT or shipping costs...... true cost is £423.85.....

Estimated delivery....December 2014

Just be aware that Naval and Miltary Press also have an online archive where you can download the War Diaries. The cost is £50.00 a year or £5 for a month. I have taken out a month long subscription and I must say, that I am quite impressed. I am not certain that I will purchase the DVD.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Sepoy

I presume they only have the diaries digitised by TNA? And that they will add diaries as they TNA get them done?

There is a great long screed about what is and what is not included. Included are units within British and Indian Divisions on the Western Front---units such as trench mortar and machine gun batteries etc. Not included are Theatres other than the Western Front and units whose command was not devolved from Corps to Division ie. Heavy artillery, tanks. Australian, New Zealand, Canadian Divisions not included.

Len

Gents

I'm a little dubious about the likelihood of them making the dates advertised - the Medal Rolls disc N&MP produced was over a month late. In addition, within weeks of the disc arriving, which contained transcribed entries for all medal rolls, a rival site added the digitized medal rolls to their collection - access to which cost no more than I pay for subscription already. An expensive few weeks of use! I'm aware that the money paid for pre-orders is used to fund the remainder of the project.

I'm still weighing up subscription to the site over said disc.

Regards

Colin

Hmmm ..we'll see... I have ordered the DVD.... I'll let you know when it arrives.

There is a great long screed about what is and what is not included. Included are units within British and Indian Divisions on the Western Front---units such as trench mortar and machine gun batteries etc. Not included are Theatres other than the Western Front and units whose command was not devolved from Corps to Division ie. Heavy artillery, tanks. Australian, New Zealand, Canadian Divisions not included.

Len

Sounds like they have what is already available via the National Archives site - to be honest it would be surprising if it were otherwise.

I guess a propective purchaser needs to weigh up the relative costs - if you anticipate needing over 120 war diaries (roughly what the cost of the DVD will buy in TNA downloads) over a period of over 8 years (DVD cost in terms of an NMArchive sub) then the DVD could be cost effective.

Not for me though - I am fortunate to be able to get to Kew quite often and usually download a few diaries for free on each visit and only occasionally feel the urgent need to spend the £3.30 to download at home.

I am occasionally tempted by their website though - can you download a complete diary or is it one page at a time?

I

• 2 weeks later...

Sepoy old chum you need to check your link. I got the telephone preference service :(

There doesnt seem to be any mention of it on the main site (trying to get people to stump up for the dvd?). Uncle Google helped me out though -

http://www.nmarchive.com/