Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Wilfred Ollerenshaw, Royal Fusiliers

HeatherC

This man's omission from CWGC records has come to light during the work of the Chalford Parish Great War Research Group as he is on our memorial as JW Ollerenshaw.

Born Chalford, Glos in 1895, son of James and Elizabeth. Attended Marling School, Stroud (where he is remembered on their old boys' WW1 list) and then St Paul's College, Cheltenham.

He had enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers and his entry on a local memorial tablet (now vanished but we have a photograph) says "J.W Ollerenshaw, Pte 28th Res Batt R. Fusiliers". The 28th was a training Battalion based at Epsom, formed from the reserve companies of the RF's Public School Battalions. Contemporary newspaper cuttings give the same Unit.

The local newspaper (Stroud News) reported on 8 October 1915 that he had died the previous Tuesday (5th October1915) from pneumonia during training at Epsom. He was brought back to the area to be buried and there is a lengthy account in the Stroud News of his funeral at France Congregational Church (the church was deconsecrated in the 1980s but the graveyard still exists although we have not been able to find a headstone there for him). His death was registered in Epsom in the last quarter of 1915, Volume 2a, page 51 (we don't have the death certificate - when you are researching 156 men it gets prohibitively expensive!)

He has no CWGC entry. The J.R Ollerenshaw in CWGC killed in 1915 was his cousin.

Hopefully as he died in service, this one is straightforward?

Hi

Is this him

OLLERENSHAW James Wilfred JW Ollerenshaw Royal Engineers (died during training) Private WR/24973 08-Oct-15 France Lynch (St. John the Baptist) Churchyard

Cannot get into CWGC web site for some reason,

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme

If that's from our spreadsheet on the Chalford Parish Council page, then as I have realised this morning while putting this together, it's an error. There was a J Ollerenshaw of that number and Unit who died in 1918 and is buried in the UK. (Cheshire) He is not our man and I do not know why he was originally identified as such (by us!).

We'll get it changed the next time we update the spreadsheet!

I have searched CWGC this morning just to be sure before coming here. I am 99.9% certain he is not there. Happy to be proved wrong but I don't think I am.

The RE J Ollerenshaw didn't due till 1918 and was over 30. This was our error in matching him with our man and we will correct it.

OLLERENSHAW James Wilfred Royal Engineers Pioneer WR/24973 03-Jun-18 France Lynch Congregational Churchyard

From the link given by you in post#1 of 14/6/2014

See my reply to Graeme above... This is an error in our spreadsheet where with some wishful thinking on our part an entry for a J Ollereneshaw who DOES appear on the CWGC site was connected to our man. He is not our man.

Thanks I already have the DC reference (see my first post) but as I said, I am part of a Research Group and we can't afford to buy every certificate we'd like to see... I am really waiting for Terry to comment and let me know if IFCP can help.

It's a gamble - Terry will require the DC and will be able to reimburse you if he is accepted

EDIT: If you only wish Terry to comment then I suggest a PM - we are all only trying to help!

Would a death from an illness not brought on from military service be included by CWGC?

Would a death from an illness not brought on from military service be included by CWGC?

Yes, provided he died in service. Diane - sorry I wasn't trying to be rude, but I did seem to be repeating myself in this thread ;) - I very much appreciate the help people are trying to give. Anyway I'm now talking to Terry direct. I will let you know what transpires.

Everyone who died in service is automatically eligible for CWGC commemoration.

CGM

We've been asked this before about others on our memorial, why should they be there when they did not get as far as the Front? Our answer has been when you consider that James Wiflred had been a fit healthy young man who played sport for his school and his village, it seems likely he would not have suffered such illness if he had not been in service. Such was the case for many, many men who answered their country's call but never made it to the front lines. CWGC does not differentiate in HOW they died, only that they were in the service of their country at the time.

Cases occurring after the deceased left the service require more stringent proof of a direct connection between the death and the military service.

• 1 year later...
Guest tonyhudson2000

" a local memorial tablet (now vanished but we have a photograph) " the memorial tablet

Just to let you know that the memorial tablet still exists and is mounted on the wall of the entrance hall at France Church House, formerly France Congregational Church, which was converted to residential accommodation in the nineties.

" a local memorial tablet (now vanished but we have a photograph) " the memorial tablet

Just to let you know that the memorial tablet still exists and is mounted on the wall of the entrance hall at France Church House, formerly France Congregational Church, which was converted to residential accommodation in the nineties.

Thank you Tony - I didn't know that! I shall be passing that on to our Research Group and we'll take a look!

That is I knew it had been converted and member of our Research Group have been into the attached graveyard and taken pictures but I didn't know the plaque was still there.