Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras at christmas

john kemp

Looking to lead the missus into afalse sense of security by going to Arras for christmas markets for a few hours followed by numerous more hours on surrounding battlefields!

Has anyone been to Arras xmas markets, I have been to Ypres a few times which is small and cosy.

Any info or other relevant locations much appreciated?

Thanks

Hi John, I believe the Christmas market is held in the Grand Place, plenty of little wooden stalls lining the square, and you can visit Father Christmas!, other things going on as well (search Arras Christmas market and then press translate), Like you say-a good way of getting your missus to go, I am in Arras 1-5 December and might pop one night just to see what it is like, (market through the year in Place De heroes is always good!, all the best, Ian.

John - I pulled off a similar ruse in the summer. I imagine the market looks magical at night giving you the daylight hours to go trench spotting. We stayed in apartment for 3 nights right on the Grand Place with the handy car park under the square.

Will

Plenty of little wooden stalls, but when you've seen the first four, the rest are the same as that in a different order. It's not a patch on the Bruges Christmas markets

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,
I went to Attas Xmas market several times it is worth a visit, very nice atmosphere.

Claude

This year the Arras market has expanded and opened this weekend ,walked through on Thursday a large Ferris wheel ,fair and all sorts,

Mrs seemed impressed.

Just came back from Arras xmas market on Sunday, extremely busy on Saturday night, probably enough to look at for a couple of hours max. Layout nearly identical to last year, recommend a trip to Assiette de Bouef after, only really steak and chips but the sauce it comes with is fantastic.