Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Ernest Foxall and the Royal warwickshires, July 1916

mike.foxall

Hi all,

This is all totally new to me so I'll explain what I'm trying to find out.

Recently I've been looking into my family tree and found out one of my great great uncles was killed in action in the battle of the somme. I have only managed to find one photo of him and very little in the battle in which he was killed which I believe was at La boiselle. 3rd of July. 1916.

Out of respect I went and visited the Thiepval memorial and the Somme yesterday. It was very moving.

I'm after anymore information, pictures etc of the 10th bn of the Royal warwickshires, I'm a bit lost to be honest.

His name was James Ernest Foxall, #7996, 10th royal warwickshires.

Thanks

Mike Foxall

Medal index card says that he crossed to France 18 Jul 1915...

10th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Warwick in September 1914 as part of K2 and came under command of 57th Brigade, 19th (Western) Division.

Landed in France on 17 July 1915.

First name(s) JAMES ERNEST

Last name FOXALL

Service number 7996

Rank PRIVATE

Regiment Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Battalion 10th Battalion.

Birth place HANLEY, STAFFS

Residence CRADLEY HEATH, STAFFS

Enlistment place BIRMINGHAM

Death year 1916

Death day 3

Death month 7

Cause of death Killed in action

Death place France & Flanders

Theatre of war Western European Theatre

Mike, following a summary of the 10th Warks war diary for 3rd July, there are also various descriptions of the battle of LA BOISSELLE on the web.

3rd
02:15 N.Staff started to clear the village of LA BOISSELLE. 10th Worcesters attacked the German front line section ALBERT - POZIERS road.The Gloucesters were in reserve.
The germans shelled our front line heavily.
08:00 C and D companies went up to support the Gloucesters to clear up the situation in the village.
A and B Companies went further to the right of our front line to enable part of the S. Lancasters to take over our front line.
B Company then sent up to support.
12:30 A Company went over and our front line was entirely held by the S. Lancs
At this time we were holding a line from X13d 10/7 South along trench towards LA BOISSELLE
Artillery support obtained while we consolidated the line.
15:00 The C.O. was wounded and from 15:00 - 20:30 the Bn was under the command of the Gloucesters.

Officers: 1 killed, 2 wounded (one died after)
Other ranks: 27 casualaties

4th Day spent consolidating the gain, for the line to be held at all cost.
5th Morning, Bn was relieved and marched back to billets at ALBERT.

Evan

No, I'm very new to this kind of thing, do you think he could help?

No, I'm very new to this tracing ancestors kind of thing, do you think he could help? The info ive already received is fantastic.

Hi Mike I too am after photos of the 10th Service Battalion as my Great Uncle Edward Joseph Pratt was the Regimental Sergeant Major with the 10th he was a long service man who joined the 1st Battalion in 1892..I have not come across any photos as yet but have lots of Warwicks..

I have a copy of Landers War as my Great Uncle is mentioned a few times and sadly his death too which if not for Lander I would only know the usual died of wounds..he was hit in the side at the Battle Of The Menin Rd Ridge and he refused the stretcher bearers so they could attend to his men, he walked back to the Spoil Bank were the Dressing Station was and he collapsed and died.

I checked the index of names in the book and there isn't any mention of your man.

IMGP2897.jpg

IMGP2898-1.jpg

Colette

Wow, this is all very interesting thanks for all the information so far. I'll check out that book, ive now downloaded the war diary from the 10th bn, it gives a very very good insight into every day life.

Wow, this is all very interesting thanks for all the information so far. I'll check out that book, ive now downloaded the war diary from the 10th bn, it gives a very very good insight into every day life.