Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George A. Worley

SHS

I know this time of year the forums must jump alive with many new faces looking for their ancestors. I have researched my Great-Grandfather on my own for quite sometime, but only last night found this forum.

I have his picture (my profile picture), and his attestation papers. My daughter took his helmet to school for today and tomorrow.

I am just checking where I might find more information. Based on his attestation papers I thought he was with the 216th Battallion that would have been absurbed by the 3rd Reserve Battalion upon arriving in England. However my father has some pins of his that are for the 106th Scottish Regiment.

Researching can be very tricky and leads my not turn out to be what you think. I am just figuring this all out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-117525-0-83006600-1415639964_thumb.

post-117525-0-67858300-1415639966_thumb.

Are his Service Records available on any archive sites, Army Records sites in Canada? Or even the same place you got the Attestation Form?

However my father has some pins of his that are for the 106th Scottish Regiment.

There is no 106th Scottish Regiment, and the 106th Regiment of foot was the Bombay Light Infantry later amalgamated with the Durham Light Infantry, you'll need to check your info.

Sam

216th O.S Battalion CEF ' Bantams'/

That's what it reads as to me.

BTW the pins may not have belonged to him and were souvenirs?

Yes, at only 5 ft 1 and a quarter inches tall, definitely a bantam!

216th Battalion would be a Canadian unit.

Do you know where his medals might be?

They should have details inscribed on the rim which might give better clues.

Good luck!

Looks as if 216Btn was formed 15?7?16 and arrived England April 1917 and was put into 3rd Reserve Bn in May 1917.

I don't know if the battalion went to France or sent drafts out to other battalions.

Have a look and see what you make of it.

Some pages can be slow to load!

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/4806710202020740be1e9b22.html?from=related&hasrec=0

216th O.S Battalion CEF ' Bantams'/

That's what it reads as to me.

BTW the pins may not have belonged to him and were souvenirs?

Yes that is what I mentioned to my father.

Are his Service Records available on any archive sites, Army Records sites in Canada? Or even the same place you got the Attestation Form?

His Service Records are not scanned or online just yet. I have read elsewhere they figure by the end of 2015 all records should be available for free online. I could order them for a price. As his attestation form is online with info required to obtain his service records.

There is no 106th Scottish Regiment, and the 106th Regiment of foot was the Bombay Light Infantry later amalgamated with the Durham Light Infantry, you'll need to check your info.

Sam

C022858thumb.jpg This is the pin my dad has from my Great-Grandfather. As someone else has stated, it is more than likely a souvenir then from his battalion.

Well that very clearly says 106 and Canada !!. and I think Nova Scotia (then another word) around the 106.

There is a 106th Canadian Battalion.

The 106th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles), CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War.
Based in Truro, Nova Scotia, with two additional companies in Pictou and Springhill, the unit began recruiting on 18 November 1915.
The battalion was the first rifle regiment in Maritime Canada. The motto was "None So Reliable".
The battalion sailed to England on 16 July 1916 and trained at Lower Dibgate, Shorncliffe.
It was later broken up and most were absorbed into the 40th Battalion, CEF. The officer commanding was Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Innes.

Note: We started with "106th Scottish Regiment" - Nova Scotia is "New Scotland" which seems more than a coincidence.

Well that very clearly says 106 and Canada !!.

There is a 10th Canadian Regiment

he 106th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles), CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War.

Based in Truro, Nova Scotia, with two additional companies in Pictou and Springhill, the unit began recruiting on 18 November 1915.

The battalion was the first rifle regiment in Maritime Canada. The motto was "None So Reliable".

The battalion sailed to England on 16 July 1916 and trained at Lower Dibgate, Shorncliffe.

It was later broken up and most were absorbed into the 40th Battalion, CEF. The officer commanding was Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Innes.

Note: We started with "106th Scottish Regiment" - Nova Scotia is New Scotland which seems a coincidence.

Yeah he enlisted in Windsor Ontario and the Battalion number stamped on his attestation papers is more for Central Ontario. So I must assume this is a souvenir he received during his service.