Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying item

AWarToEndNoWars

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help identifying an item I picked up during a recent field walking trip.

It's obviously part of a gun, but I am unsure as to what exactly it is part of i.e: pistol, rifle etc. and if it is German, British etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

post-105218-0-46763800-1415632446_thumb.

Hi,

I think it's part of a Stokes mortar fuze.

Can't say if it contains anything explosive anymore.....

Kind regards

Excellent... So it is!! I thought it was a gun part as did some other people I showed it to. Thanks so much for that... It's totally empty apart from a little bit of Somme mud.

Thanks again!

Strictly speaking the assembly is called a 'pistol'. It works much the same as the detonation mechanism in a Mills bomb: the lever flies off when fired, allowing the striker to ignite a cap which ignites a fuse which sets off the detonator.

Please take these comments kindly, because that is how they are offered.

As an ex-TA Sapper, I am amazed at what some people pick up. The OP has picked up something that she did not have clue about. "It's obviously part of a gun" - which to the experts, it obviously isn't.

In my day we were always most wary of the little things, like detonators because they are less stable than high explosive and can take your fingers off - or worse!.

I was trained in the use of explosives and I do not pick up anything that I do not recognise. May I take this oportunity to urge people to leave stuff alone.

Edited by Beerhunter

Hi

it's not the fuse, similar to a Mils bomb it incorporates the essential parts to set off the device. The gunner pulls the pin and holds down the fly off lever, places the bomb in the mortars tube. The fly off lever remains held in place by the side of the tube. Once the round is fired out the fly off lever becomes detached the spring inside forcing the striker to hit the detonator and the round explodes after a number of seconds.

Regards

Dave