Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Copyright on Official History of Gallipoli Campaign

oak

Pals,

Am I correct in believing that the maps and photos in Military Operations: Gallipoli by Aspinall-Oglander are out of copyright?

Best,

Philip

There is lots of guidance on copyright on the UK National Archives site. . if you make the images yourself, from a copy that you own, then you may well be correct correct. If you take them from another source, then the maker of the images definitely owns the copyright in the image, or your use might be restricted by say the terms of use of say a public library or archive . http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/

The other snag, is that copyright law tends to vary country by country,

Keith

Terry and Keith,

I very much appreciate the time and trouble you took to send me that information.

Grateful thanks,

Philip

Yes, Crown Copyright, so expired I am fairly sure, so I think it's probably only a question of sourcing images from original copies, without breaking any terms of use of archives or libraries. With a copy that you own yourself I can't see an issue, but I am not a lawyer, so my view is just that, a personal interpretation.

Keith

Yes, but it may be that the photographic rights belong to Aspinall-Oglander. However, if he was in the employ of the Crown, it may well be that the photographic rights remain with them. I may be wrong, but I believe that that Crown retains copyright in perpetuity unless it chooses to relinquish it. or grant a licence. Always best to get legal advice if it is about publishing.

TR

Fair point Terry, and to complicate it the Maps and sketches were made by Becke. My original copy doesn't have any of the kind of copyright statements that you find in books these days. I suppose it was just deemed to be subject to the law of the land and therefore there was no need for detail.

Keith

Thanks Pals,

It appears to be the type of issue that could keep a team of barristers employed for years. Terry, I love the Alan Wicker quote. I must learn the phrase in Turkish before my trip to Gallipoli next year.

Philip

I would say that as the work is Crown copyright it's copyright expired. A number of publishers have reproduced maps, etc from various of the Official Histories in their own works-some without even an acknowledgement! If some of the photos came from the I.W.M. collections, they may, however, claim copyright.

Michael

Everything was Crown Copyright. Everyone working on it was 'an Officer or servant of the Crown'

Simply: Crown Copyright last for 125 years, unless it has been commercially published, where copyright lasts for 50 years. The Copyright on the OH Gallipoli Vols I and II expired in 1979 and 1982. You will note in all the reprints there is no claim on copyright.

Basically any OH published more than 50 years ago is no longer under Crown copyright protection. MG