Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

I've found a couple of pages from diaries that have been misplaced, also pages from diaries that will be useful to others researching different units. . Feel free to add any more you find. Either in the National Archive diaries, or Naval and Military Press Archive.

In the 153rd Infantry Brigade diary, there are a number of pages that either belong to, or are relevant to

179th Infantry Brigade, 60th Division;

57th Infantry Brigade

19th Division

5th Infantry Brigade

95th Infantry Brigade

13th Infantry Brigade?

Mike

Mike,

I do not think so and the 14th Div Signal Coy diary clearly has the unit at the end of the page, went to a different location when going overseas etc.

Although the same WO95 number it looks like they have got mixed up in the box and someone has scanned them without any knowledge, just scanning them in the order they came out of the box.

Good idea, poorly managed, who knows, however I thought the boxes were sorted before they were scanned??? This brings other issues to light however, just how many are like this.

post-1871-0-94883400-1415634875_thumb.jp

Mike,

Good idea, poorly managed, who knows, however I thought the boxes were sorted before they were scanned??? This brings other issues to light however, just how many are like this.

We're finding quite a lot during tagging for Op War Diary and all of the oddities and mis-files are being passed on to TNA. Examples have included

• Years scanned in the wrong order - 1915,1918,1917,1916,1914 for example
  • Months mixed up
  • Pages from another unit suddenly appear mid-diary
  • Duplicated sets of pages
  • Two units whose diaries have been completely "swapped" - i..e each one has the title of the other
  • Pages scanned upside down or only part scanned (especially where the left margin has been cut off in scanning)

And so on.

I've only come across one instance of a mix up on a diary download. I contacted them and it was rectified very quickly. I had pages missing but seemed to have inherited a number of pages for another unit in their place. I'm not sure how rigorous the sorting process was prior to digitisation :)

When I was last at TNA some months ago, I found a digitised war diary (alas I have forgotten which - it will be in my notebook) where only every second page was available. (I assume that only one side of each page had been digitised?) I also found one which was out of order in places.

R.

Some entries, for example the ones I mentioned from the 153rd Brigade Diary, are operation orders etc, of units that fought beside the brigade in a particular action. In this case High Wood 30/7/1916

Mike