Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2014 Varsity Rugby Match - commemoration of 55 Fallen Blues

MBrockway

Stephen Sebastian Lombard STEYN (Diocesan College, Rondebosch, S Africa / University College, Oxford)
Born 10 November, 1889 in Moorreesburg, Cape Province.
Killed in action in Palestine on 8 December 1917 aged 28. He died on the day before Jerusalem fell to General Allenby's forces.

Blues 1911, 1912. Won 2 Scotland caps, making début against England in 1911 before winning his Blue, and also played for Guy’s Hospital, London Scottish and Barbarians.

A Rhodes Scholar, who went on to Guy’s Hospital in 1913 to study medicine.

Joined King Edward’s Horse as a Private, before being granted Commission in November 1914, when he became a Lieutenant in ‘B’ Battalion, 117th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

Served in Salonica and Palestine.

# Jerusalem War Cemetery, Israel and Palestine (including Gaza) (Row B, Grave 12)

Edit: Dick Flory has added a great deal of additional information on Stephen STEYN in this post further down.

Edited by MBrockway

gallery_20192_897_52149.jpg

Six of the 1912 Oxford XV were among the Fallen (these men also were variously in the 1910, 1911, 1912 and 1913 Oxford XV's) ...

David McLaren BAIN (Edinburgh Academy / Trinity College, Oxford) - KiA, 03 Jun 1915 - Capt, 3rd att. 2nd Gordon Highlanders
William Purdon GEEN (Haileybury / University College, Oxford) - KiA, 31 Jul 1915 - 2/Lt, 9/KRRC
Stephen Sebastian Lombard STEYN (Diocesan College, Rondebosch, S Africa / University College, Oxford) - KiA, 08 Dec 1917, Palestine - Lt, 117th Bde, RFA
Edward Fenwick BOYD (Rugby School / University College, Oxford) - KiA, 20 Sep 1914 - Lt 1st Northumberland Fusiliers
Walter Michael DICKSON (Diocesan College, Rondebosch, S Africa / University College, Oxford) - KiA, 26 Sep 1915 - 2/Lt, 11/A&SH
Francis Wishart THOMSON (Edinburgh Academy / University College, Oxford) - KiA, 28 Jun 1915, Gallipoli - Lt 1st Royal Scots
:poppy:

William Geen's image has clearly been pasted into this picture!

Their details follow in separate posts except for David BAIN, William GEEN and Stephen STEYN, who have already been detailed following the 1911 team photo above.

Edited by MBrockway

Edward Fenwick BOYD (Rugby School / University College, Oxford)
Born 13 May 1890 in Houghton-le-Spring, Durham.
Killed in action in Vailly, Aisne, 20 September 1914 aged 24.

Blue 1912. Played for Army vs Navy 1914 and for United Services and Blackheath.

Gazetted to Northumberland Fusiliers in 1912.

Lieutenant in 1st Battalion.

Mentioned in British and French despatches in 1914.

# Vailly British Cemetery (Plot I, Row A, Grave 7)

Walter Michael DICKSON (Diocesan College, Rondebosch, S Africa / University College, Oxford)
Born 23 November 1884 in South Africa.
Killed in action at Loos, 26 September 1915 aged 30.

Blue 1912. Won 7 Scotland caps and played for Blackheath, SW Districts (in South Africa) and Barbarians.

A Rhodes Scholar, who became a surveyor. Raced motor cars at Brooklands.

Joined up 22 January 1915 and was 2/Lt in 11th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 45th Brigade, 15th Division.

# Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France (Panel 125-127)

Francis Wishart THOMSON (Edinburgh Academy / University College, Oxford)
Born 30 March 1891 in Edinburgh.
Killed in action in Battle of Gully Ravine, Gallipoli,on 28 June 1915 aged 24.

Died on the same day in the same action as his younger brother, Lt Eric James THOMSON, aged 22.

Blues 1912, 1913.

He enlisted on 29 August 1914 and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in “C” Company of 7th, attached to 1st, Royal Scots.

Promoted to Lieutenant soon afterwards.

Went to Gallipoli in May 1915.

# Helles Memorial, Turkey, (Panel 26-30)

• 4 months later...

Re: your post #3 - II may have a photograph of David Sivright somewhere, if you would like to see a copy. Though I am not entirely sure whether (since it's a team photo and I can't recall if names have been added) he can actually be identified...

"On September 6 Surgeon Sievright [sic], the Scottish international footballer, died from septicaemia. He had received a scratch on his arm and thought nothing of it. Nearly all these small wounds, such as abrasions of the hands in the trenches, became septic [...] It is not surprising that sepsis occurred, when one considers the terribly insanitary conditions of the camps and trenches. Limbs of dead bodies protruded from the parapents of some of the captured Turkish trenches. Improvements in sanitation still proceeded but always under great difficulties."

(Gaskell, A. History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli. [pt 5]. Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service, vol. 12, no. 4 (Oct. 1926), p. 298.)

• 3 weeks later...

Re: your post #3 - II may have a photograph of David Sivright somewhere, if you would like to see a copy. Though I am not entirely sure whether (since it's a team photo and I can't recall if names have been added) he can actually be identified...

"On September 6 Surgeon Sievright [sic], the Scottish international footballer, died from septicaemia. He had received a scratch on his arm and thought nothing of it. Nearly all these small wounds, such as abrasions of the hands in the trenches, became septic [...] It is not surprising that sepsis occurred, when one considers the terribly insanitary conditions of the camps and trenches. Limbs of dead bodies protruded from the parapents of some of the captured Turkish trenches. Improvements in sanitation still proceeded but always under great difficulties."

(Gaskell, A. History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli. [pt 5]. Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service, vol. 12, no. 4 (Oct. 1926), p. 298.)

Most definitely!

I started the Topic hoping the Pals would add lots of material, so I would greatly appreciate that Jane.

I have most of the Cambridge Blues team photos but just haven't had the time yet to prepare them for uploading. Watch this space :hypocrite:

Mark

Mark,

I'm afraid an enquiry by me on another thread has revealed that what I thought was a picture of David Sivright isn't - but another naval surgeon rugby international instead! It may yet be that one will surface, and if it does I shall let you know.

Best regards,

sJ

• 4 months later...

post-46735-0-39465900-1443193402_thumb.jpost-46735-0-38757000-1443193458_thumb.jThere is certainly a book here an i feel an important one. I have done one on Rugby Internationals Killed in WW1 and First Class Cricketers also killed between 1914-1918. If there is anything I can do to help please contact me. A book I feel might be a great idea and I can help with this. Nigel

attachicon.gif51ItN96yHrL._.jpgattachicon.gif519TlwRpIbL.SX316.jpgThere is certainly a book here an i feel an important one. I have done one on Rugby Internationals Killed in WW1 and First Class Cricketers also killed between 1914-1918. If there is anything I can do to help please contact me. A book I feel might be a great idea and I can help with this. Nigel

I just came on to do a puff for your rugger book (though I have not read it yet) but you've beaten me to it :hypocrite:

Pals - don't forget to use the Click through link to Amazon or Abe Books if you decide to buy Nigel's books, then the Forum gets a cut too. See the Support via Amazon & Abebooks button in the menubar

Nigel has also written on association football - The Final Season: The Footballers Who Fought and Died in the Great War. I hope the Mods won't mind me mentioning this.

2nd Lieutenant Stephanus Sebastian Lombard Steyn, Royal Field Artillery

1914-1915 Star

British War Medal (Lieut.)

WW1 Victory Medal (Lieut.)

Steyn was born on 10 November 1890, at Malmesbury, Moorreesburg, Cape Province; the son of Dr. G. Harvey Steyn of Salt River and Moorreesburg and Margaret Fraser Steyn of “Rividge”, Kenilworth, Cape Town, South Africa. He attended Edinburgh Academy in 1901 and Diocesan College, Rondebosch, South Africa from January 1902 to 1908 passing his Matriculation, 2nd Class in 1907 and Intermediate, 2nd Class in 1908. For six years he served in the Cadet Corps. He also played wing on the soccer team and played for both the “Bishops” and for the “Varsity” alongside the famous Poulton.

Steyn was selected as a Rhodes Scholar and attended University College, Oxford from 1909 to 1914, where he played on the XV and XI and was a Blue 1911-1912. He represented Scotland in Rugby versus England in 1911 and versus Ireland in 1912 winning a Scottish International Cap. His nickname was “Beak.”

After leaving Oxford he continued his medical studies at Guy’s Hospital in 1913. He enlisted as a Trooper (Regimental Number 185) in King Edward’s Horse on 27 October 1910 at the age of 22 years and 6 months and served with it until 28 February 1913. Attested to King Edward’s Horse on 1 March 1913, he was embodied with that unit on 5 August 1914 and served with ‘C’ Squadron at Watford, Herts until 6 December 1914. His Commanding Officer stated his character upon discharge as “Very Good.”

Steyn served with the South African Field Artillery until being commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery on 8 December 1914. He embarked for France on 19 September 1915 at Southampton and landed at Havre the next morning. On 22 September 1915 he was posted to ‘D’ Battery, 115th Brigade, R. F. A. and embarked for the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force at Marseilles on 1 December 1915, disembarking at Salonica on 17 December 1916.

He was posted to ‘B’ Battery, 117th Brigade, R. F. A. on 20 July 1916 and served with it in Salonika, being promoted Temporary Lieutenant, R. F. A. on 30 November 1916. On 24 July 1917 he was admitted to the 28th General Hospital in Salonica with typhoid fever and later that day transferred to the Officers’ Convalescent Hospital at Salonica. He was released from the hospital and joined the Royal Artillery Base Depot in Salonica on 6 August 1917.

On 29 September 1917 he embarked for Egypt and served with the 117th Brigade, R. F. A. in Palestine. He was killed in action in Palestine on 8 December 1917 at the age of 25. His body was originally interned in a temporary grave but in December 1920 his body was exhumed and reburied in the Jerusalem Military Cemetery in Palestine.

Sources:

Army Lists

London Gazette

Medal Index Card

Officers’ Papers (WO339/16148)

South African Soldier’s Papers

Obituaries from the Old Diocesans Union

The Times, 29 December 1917, page 2b

Rugby Football Internationals Roll of Honour

Steyn's British War Medal and his photo from the last-listed source are below:

post-765-0-88812600-1443209928_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-04218100-1443209947_thumb.jpg

Excellent addition Dick! The extra detail is much appreciated.

Close-ups of Steyn from the 1911 and 1912 OURFC XV team photos higher up ...

post-20192-0-59409300-1443219365_thumb.jpost-20192-0-66804100-1443219386_thumb.j

I have most of the Cambridge Blues team photos but just haven't had the time yet to prepare them for uploading. Watch this space :hypocrite:

Mark

Pals - I've not forgotten the Tabs and will eventually get their photos added to this Topic too!

Here are all three images - Robert's picture of Parker in the RFC, the picture from Christ Church of an Essex Regt infantry officer and Parker from the 1905 Blues XV ...

attachicon.gifLeonard Parker - side by side by side.jpg

What do we all think?

Hi Mark,

I have finally found out from whence the photo of the Essex Regt officer has been plucked! He is Captain Leonard George Parker, 2nd Bn Essex Regt., Kia 1/9/18.

If you Google: "Preston Catholic College War Memorial, Preston, Lancashire." You will find a write up and photo of him--the same photo as shown above--this has been taken from the College Magazine!!

Someone at Christ Church appears to have found this entry and in putting 2 and 2 together has arrived at 6--ouch!!

I think that the mystery is now solved?

Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like lots of our OURFC team photos earlier in this thread did not survive the relocation of Members' Galleries to new servers a wee while back.

However fear not, I still have them safe and I will re-connect the missing pictures back to their original posts above as soon as I get some spare time.

I'm also rather embarrassed that I still have not got my teeth into preparing the corresponding CURFC images :blush:

Mark

• 6 months later...

Can anyone help me with David Bedell Sivright. he is listed in our club history published 1978, and among the 103 on our Club War Memorial (as are an astonishing 19 of the 55 Fallen Blues), but nowhere can i find reference that he played of us and our records were lost. many thanks if you can! Paul McFarland Secretary London Scottish FC rugby club.

9 minutes ago, Paul McFarland said:

Can anyone help me with David Bedell Sivright. he is listed in our club history published 1978, and among the 103 on our Club War Memorial (as are an astonishing 19 of the 55 Fallen Blues), but nowhere can i find reference that he played of us and our records were lost. many thanks if you can! Paul McFarland Secretary London Scottish FC rugby club.

He's in the Royal Naval Division records as David Revill Bedill Sivright of Redcliff, Murrayfield. He was a surgeon who died of Septicaemia on 5 Sep 1915.

On some records his surname is hyphenated as Bedell-Sivright. Birth is given as 8 Dec 1880. There is a notation on Find My Past stating he was known as 'Darky' and was a 'former Scottish Rugby Football player'.

The University of Edinburgh roll apparently states " Fettes College; First XV. B.A. (Cambridge) ; Student of Medicine, 1905-10; MB, ChB 1910. Rugby Scottish International, 22 "Caps" Royal Navy, Fleet Surgeon, 1914 Dardanelles April 1915. Died of acute septicaemia on 5th September 1915. "

I can't see any obvious mention of him playing for the London Scottish - perhaps he was added by association with someone who attended the club rather than being a member himself.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

He's in the Royal Naval Division records as David Revill Bedill Sivright of Redcliff, Murrayfield. He was a surgeon who died of Septicaemia on 5 Sep 1915.

On some records his surname is hyphenated as Bedell-Sivright. Birth is given as 8 Dec 1880. There is a notation on Find My Past stating he was known as 'Darky' and was a 'former Scottish Rugby Football player'.

The University of Edinburgh roll apparently states " Fettes College; First XV. B.A. (Cambridge) ; Student of Medicine, 1905-10; MB, ChB 1910. Rugby Scottish International, 22 "Caps" Royal Navy, Fleet Surgeon, 1914 Dardanelles April 1915. Died of acute septicaemia on 5th September 1915. "

I can't see any obvious mention of him playing for the London Scottish - perhaps he was added by association with someone who attended the club rather than being a member himself.

Craig

thanks Craig. He certainly wasn't a multi-season regular, but  i don't think we'd have recorded him on our war memorial (list was compiled in 1920) if he hadn't at least played some games: perhaps just as a mate of a member - that sort of thing was commonplace in those days. ; players would play for a club, regiment/Army/United Services, and also University, country - more or less interchangeably. We have recorded 221 Scottish internationals as having played for the club but for a lot of the early ones the evidence is no longer visible. Of all of them, though, "Darkie" is the one i would  most like to confirm, and to induct in our hall of fame ! 

1 hour ago, Paul McFarland said:

Hi Paul,

There is a portrait and circa 5 page biography for David Revell Bedell-Sivright in the Rugby Internationals Roll of Honour produced soon after the Great War.  If you would like a copy please send me an email address and I can send some photos over to you.

Robert

19 minutes ago, Old Owl said:

Hi Paul,

There is a portrait and circa 5 page biography for David Revell Bedell-Sivright in the Rugby Internationals Roll of Honour produced soon after the Great War.  If you would like a copy please send me an email address and I can send some photos over to you.

Robert

that would be great thanks paul@goldhawk.net

1 hour ago, Paul McFarland said:

that would be great thanks paul@goldhawk.net

Hi Paul

I have sent some copies via email--hope these are legible? If not I can try again in daylight.

Regards, 

Robert

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2014 at 16:32, MBrockway said:

gallery_20192_897_26736.jpg

Thomas Arthur NELSON (Edinburgh Academy / University College, Oxford)
Born 22 September, 1876 in Edinburgh.
Killed in action in Arras 9 April, 1917 aged 40.

Blues 1897,1898 (Captain). Won 1 Scotland cap and played for Edinburgh Academicals and Barbarians.

He was a partner in Thomas Nelson and Sons, publishing house.

Incidentally, Thomas Nelson was the friend to whom John Buchan dedicated 'The 39 Steps' in 1915 'in these days when the wildest fictions are so much less improbable than the truth'.

Good to come across this thread, albeit belatedly. I was at Twickenham in 2014 for the memorial commemorations and Varsity match. Many of the stories ended up in my second book, including many I picked up that day from relatives.

best

On 29/10/2017 at 17:44, Paul McFarland said:

Paul, It is most likely he played for Scottish as an exile in England while he was studying at Cambridge 1899-1903. It was quite common in those days and the rail system worked very efficiently to get players down at weekends.Jimmy Dingle played for Rosslyn Park and Richmond, while he was at Oxford and Park's team sheets are littered with players who were in statu pupillari. I suspect like Park that Scottish had Oxford and Cambridge reps on its committee, whose job it was to feed student players to their London clubs.

You can search the Times Online for free through the Richmond library website - takes some getting used to but can be good on searches for team sheet/match reports. Suggest try Bedell or Sivwright between 1899-1903 (although his name is spelt differently everywhere and double-barrels are notoriously hard to research.

Such a shame that after all the work putting this together with all their pictures that on one of the upgrades!!! they all went missing.

Andy