The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camerons Roll of Honour

tomdhu

Looking for assistance in finding details of my late uncle who actually survived WW1. I have done a lot of digging around the Internet but come up with nothing. Originally thought he was with the Seaforths but now led to believe he was in the Camerons where his brother was initially.

I understand he would have signed up at Inverness with the Camerons most probably in Aug 1914 but could have been with the TF prior to that.

His details are:-

Full Name :- George Cruickshank GRANT
Born 1889
Place of Birth Key words: Duthil or Clachbain or Dulnain Bridge or Grantown
Survived the war.

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Tom

Did he drown near Mombasa in 1931?

There are a few possible MIC's for George Grant but no sign of the Cruickshank. There are one or two George C Grants but in HLI and the Gordons's. Do you have anything else about him?

In the burnt service records there is a George Grant in the Camerons, having previously been in the Seaforths, born in Knockando (25 miles away) in 1888 but he attested in 1916 and his mother is one Annie Thomson. The George Grant from Duthil has parents Andrew and Jessie. Are they your man's parents do you know?

Mike

Did he drown near Mombasa in 1931?

There are a few possible MIC's for George Grant but no sign of the Cruickshank. There are one or two George C Grants but in HLI and the Gordons's. Do you have anything else about him?

In the burnt service records there is a George Grant in the Camerons, having previously been in the Seaforths, born in Knockando (25 miles away) in 1888 but he attested in 1916 and his mother is one Annie Thomson. The George Grant from Duthil has parents Andrew and Jessie. Are they your man's parents do you know?

Mike

Mike,

That's amazing! How did you manage to find that out?

Yes his parents were definitely Andrew and Jessie and he was born in Duthil ( Clachbain croft) and yes, he did drown at Mombasa where he was on leave from Jeanes School in Lower Kabete just outside Nairobi.

Here is a link to his grave stone at Mbaraki Cemetery in Mombasa.

http://www.eamemorials.co.uk/EAMemorials/KENYA/Mombasa%20Mbaraki/Mbaraki535.htm

I am looking forward to whatever else you can tell me about his service record.

Many thanks.

Tom

The George Grant from Duthil has parents Andrew and Jessie. Are they your man's parents do you know?

Mike

Mike,

If you could oblige me with the WO file reference, I will make a trip to the Nationa Archive and get a print out.

Thanks, Tom

Unfortunately as I said above there are possible George Grant MIC's but I've seen no link with Duthil. The Duthil Grant I've only seen in the 1891 census - 7, Batchen Street, Elgin, Moray, father Andrew and mother Jessie - and in Duthil in the 1901 census. Did he become a Police Constable? There's a George Grant in the 1911 census in the Met aged 21 born in Duthil, living in St Giles & Bloomsbury.

Anyhow, here are some George Grants at TNA..

Mike