Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Harold Thompson - Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest blacklab

I've tried most suggested ways of tracking down my grandfathers unit within the RGA with no success. Any suggestions.

Edward Harold Thompson - Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery - reg# 208403 born 1895 Leicestershire

his regimental number does not seem to appear on any lists

the medal roll index card only gives RGA as his unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately your relative was in a regiment that is very hard to identify units in which a man served. Some are admittedly more easier than others but in this case you will probably have to do a lot of the research yourself. You could try the Absent Voters List (AVL) which may be held at the local library or record office, or search the newspapers of the time to see if he gets a mention. You may be lucky that someone has noted him serving with a particular battery, but given the number of men serving it is a long shot.

I assume he may have been a miner, as many men were being conscripted/mobilised from the Leicester area at that time, and in this instance your grandfather would have been sent to No. 4 Depot, Ripon, to arrive around the 22nd April 1918. It is likely that he may have been sent to a Signalling Depot, to be trained as a signaller, or to the Heavy Artillery Depot at Winchester. What happened to him after that is impossible to say.

Apart from the the suggestions above, have you asked all the family to see if any letters or photos have been passed down to give you any additional clues?

Good luck with your research.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin - yep he was at Bagworth Pit for most of his life. I'll try the AVL at Wigston records office see if that helps. Somewhere there was a picture of him as lead rider on a gun team. Unfortunately no one seems to know where that picture went after my Grandmother died.