Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A mystery from France

toots

Hello,

A friend of mine showed me this small piece of metal this evening, which was apparently found in France. We think that it may have been on a grave at some point, but I don't know any further information or if that would actually be the case.

I've searched the service number on Ancestry and CWGC and not found anything that looks is obvious. I've been working on the assumption that the service number is complete,although I'm open to suggestions on that. I also think it then says PTE. CO... again open to suggestions, although the text seems fairly clear?

Anyone have any suggestions on what it could be and how I could trace it?

wow I thought I attached it, however... it's a strip of metal, probably 1cm high and 6cm long. All it says is 15204 PTE. Co... (rest is missing) I've tried to attach it again however it seems the image is too large

cant see a Co.... but there is a Gourlay , James died 1st July 1916 , Royal Inniskillin Fusiliers, Burried at Connacht Cemetery Thiepval. ( I was there a couple of weeks ago)

have another look at the C it may be a G

same number BTW

looks like the metal tags that we used to pay a penny for on the railway stations back in the sixties/seventies

It could be a Go... although it looks quite clear to be a C. It's difficult to explain why, but if I turn it over and look at the back the C is more defined than it looks from the front, and there is no indentation at all to make it a 'G'? I guess what could sway me towards it being a 'G' is that the curve at the bottom looks different to the curve at the top, whereas if it was a 'C' i would expect them to be almost exactly the same?

He was a Lance Corporal, but we've seen that before.

(and it does look like it could be a G to me)

There is a Private Goddard on the CWGC too, although his service number has an L at the beginning, would that rule him out? (if it is actually something from France that is)

aluminium package lables, we used to make name tags.

a thought..... maybe , (and it wouldnt be the first time) it was mis-read or mis-heard by the transcriber who pressed the C he was told

aluminium package lables, we used to make name tags.

a thought..... maybe , (and it wouldnt be the first time) it was mis-read or mis-heard by the transcriber who pressed the C he was told

There is a chance it could be something like that. I really have no idea. The only context I have is that it was given to a friend in one of the Queen Mary tins along with a few other bits and bobs, all supposed to have been collected by a man who went out metal detecting.

As Norman says, it is part of an embossed metal tape of the kind used for recording identification details on the original wooden crosses in military cemeteries.

ok, so it sounds very definite on what it actually is then. have had another look and we're in agreement that it's most definitely a 'C'. so the only explanation must be that it was mis-heard or mis-read as suggested! how frustrating.