Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Hugh Talbot Wynter 22nd Bty 34 Bde RFA

sweetnes2114

Major Hugh Talbot Wynter, 22nd battery, 34th Brigade RFA. The war diary for his Brigade, and battery are available online for a few ££ http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/Result?_q=WO%2095%2F1324

photo of him amongst these men

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/illustratedfirstworldwar/iln-media/1914/19141003/ClipImages/ILN0-1914-1003-0008-001-002.JPG

and track his war from mobilisation until his death at Verneuil 15th September, i believe..

Using various genealogy sites (Ancestry, Family Search, Free BMD etc) it would appear that Hugh Talbot Wynter and his wife Eva had only one son - Derek Edward Hugh Wynter (1899 - 1965) - he appears to have married 3 times - 1925, 1936 and 1946 - but as any offspring from these marriages could well still be alive and it is not generally acceptable to name living persons on genealogy forums I haven't gone any further forward

There are some family trees on Ancestry that include Hugh - but you would need to be a member to look at them and possibly contact the owners - Ancestry is available in libraries but that edition doesn't offer family tree access

Looking a little further at Derek it would appear he joined a naval training establishment in May 1912 and served on HMS Hercules and HMS Tiger between 1915 and 1919 when he resigned to take up an army cadetship at the Royal Military Academy.

He offered himself for service with the RN again in WW2 - but initially the Home Office would not release him

Certainly an interesting family to research

Cheers Sue

thks very much for helping me out with this, Major Hugh Talbot Wynter, 22nd battery RFA. can u help me out where he came form in the uk I have got a photo of him at Aldershot, I have put his details into the search but nothing is coming up.

Reason why I am trying to find more stuff about him is that I am a HMF this is my bty 100 years ago in the ww1

In relation to 22nd Battery - you may have the nominal roll, but you can also find the 1914 Star Roll for 22nd Battery online - unusually this is listed as a separate battery list [with the men serving in 2nd Division Artillery HQ], not by Brigade as most are. I think this is probably the only easily accessible list of a 1914 RFA Batttery.

Remembering Gunner Leslie Parker [73768] 22nd Battery RFA, died or wounds 11th November 1914

• spof changed the title to Major Hugh Talbot Wynter 22nd Bty 34 Bde RFA