Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Overseas Death Certificate for James T Martin. Possible?

Cymro

Could some kind soul let me know how, if at all I could go about obtaining a death certificate for 137069 Driver James Thomas Martin, 11th Brigade Ammunition Column who died at a base hospital in France on 23rd January 1919. I'm trying to ascertain his cause of death. Do such documents exist and where can I find them - the TNA link seems to be non functioning...

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Jon.

He was in the RFA and died of "disease" according to CWGC here

Mike

He was in the RFA and died of "disease" according to CWGC here

Mike

Hmm, nice one Mike. I've been guilty of not looking at those attach docs on the CWGC site. I've hardly ever found extra detail in them, but in this case there is. I'm very grateful to you for pointing this out.

Best regards

Jon

Jon

Very surprised you say very little detail, they are fascinating.

Very often they give cause of death, give previous cemeteries they were buried in, and means of identification etc.

Theres loads of info !!

Regards,

Graeme

You should be able to obtain a copy of his death certificate from the GRO though they contain very little detail. Would probably show place of death as just "France & Flanders" .

I recently obtained the one for my Great Uncle but it showed his age at death as 21 when in fact he was only 19. I can only put this down to him giving a false age at enlistment.

It is possible to get certified copies of the information given on Great War military overseas death certificates from the General Records Office (GRO) note that this likely to be a modern day certificate version with the information from the original GRO records transcribed onto it (but it will be a legally acceptable document in the unlikely event that you'd need such!). As Ellis 1918 has said - his post appeared just after I'd started typing this - it's most likely that the cause of death will be in general terms (ie KIA, died of wounds, disease etc) and location of death will be nothing more specific than the country ie don't expect to get any more information than you already know.

The specific details needed to help with getting the certificate from the GRO (Volume & Page etc) can be found in the GRO indices: 'GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)' & 'GRO War Death Army Officers Indices (1914 to 1921)' NB these records are NOT 'Soldier Died in the Great War (SDGW); (Naval death details can be found in 'GRO War Death Navy All Ranks Indices (1914 to 1921')) The GRO indices can be accessed from the findmypast website as part of their 'British nationals armed forces deaths 1796-2005' record set.

NigelS