Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

JWK

Interned in the Netherlands - Pictures of 1500 soldiers found

horatio2
20 minutes ago, Prue Peters said:

can you point me where to find out about the account of his losing his arm and the Battle please. 

For an overview of the Battle of the Ancre on 13/14/15 November 1916 see the divisional history "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrold. Online here (Chapter XI and note on p.195):-

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.523461/page/n227

Prue Peters

Thank you so much.  

NR72
On 19/01/2020 at 14:36, Prue Peters said:

It definitely seems as if could be THE one!.  More goosebumps here!  I have sent links to my cousins so that they can see the interesting correspondence on this forum.   Makes it all so much more real and appreciate what they all went through.  I am moving on to finding out about the battle where he lost his arm....in France - .... something he lived with so well for the rest of his life and was the only person we knew who get get winkles out of a shell with one arm.  He gave up on the false arm very quickly!.  Will post anything else if I find it.  (Have just been reading all about the Naval Reserves at Blandford Camp where he started out).

Thanks so much for this (see my other response too)... can you point me where to find out about the account of his losing his arm and the Battle please.  Someone sent them to me many years ago and I have no idea where I put them.... I belong to all the main ancestry sites.  Thank you.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 13.44.58.png

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 13.44.09.png

I saw Falmouth (My home town) and thought you may want to see these , although they are captioned as 1918

20-Hospital-Group-1918.jpg

38-WW1-wounded-Recreatioin-Ground-Falmouth-1918.jpg