Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of RND soldiers interned in Groningen (Timbertown)

JWK

Don't know if this is the correct forum to put it in, as technically they weren't POW's....

Pictures of ca 1500 British soldiers, who were interned in the Netherlands in 1914/15, were discovered in the Rotterdam Municipal Archives..

They have now been digitalised and are searchable through a dedicated website :

https://www.archieven.nl/nl/zoeken?mistart=4&mivast=0&mizig=236&miadt=184&miaet=54&micode=63_170&milang=nl&misort=last_mod|desc&miview=ldt

About this project

Almost all the British soldiers belonged to the First Royal Naval Division. This unit was deployed in the defence of Antwerp in October 1914. After the fall of the Belgian port city some battalions were cut off from the main force, after which they sought a safe haven in neutral Netherlands. According to international treaties the Dutch Government’s neutrality required forces belonging to one of the belligerents to be interned. The British sailors were interned in a purpose- built barracks on the grounds of the Rabenhauptkazerne in Groningen, the so-called Englishman Camp. They would stay there until the end of the war.

The photos and associated list of names which have now surfaced, were used by the Rotterdam police to trace internees who had escaped from internment camps. Records show that foreign soldiers escaped from these camps in large numbers. Often they tried to reach England by the ports of Rotterdam or Vlissingen to rejoin the war effort. The Dutch authorities wanted to prevent these escapes at all costs because they endangered the neutrality of the country. As the war progressed, the Rotterdam police put more and more effort into apprehending the escaped internees.

The police put in place rigorous checks at railway stations and in the port. If the police suspected a traveller to be an escaped internee, he was taken to the police station for further investigation. There the photos and name lists obtained by the internment camps were checked. In the course of the war the Rotterdam police picked up several hundred soldiers of different nationalities in this way.

More information:

To search:

- click the downward chevron next to "zoeken" top left

zoeken.jpg.12d002bd7d67d1d042725e23fabc21e8.jpg

- type in surname  (The wildcard is "  *  ". So for Mac-, Mc- names e.g. type *donald, that will get you McDonald, MacDonald, Mac.Donald, Mac Donald etc etc etc)

zoeken1.jpg.5dcd5f023001da397d793f74a2292052.jpg

- click "Zoek" [= "Search"]

If there is a match/are matches, then the name/names is/are highlighted, and the photopage on which he appears is highlighted.

(Check his initial!)

zoeken2.jpg.b8f2f57fc3a0ae35eb7a85c1f49b78ff.jpg

- Click on the +  before the name, and you get the paynumber, which is written next to his photo on the photopage.

zoeken3.jpg.fc2500f009ba49d19a23938157f147f0.jpg

Click "volgende" ("next") once/several times to his photograph

"Download deze scan als jpg"  means "Download this scan as jpg" 

NL-RtSA_63_170_0223_1048.jpg

Edited by JWK
added search option explanation

Indeed, an outstanding find, news of which should be widely spread. I'd guess there are a fair few out there today who might be able to get a photograph of a relative from these.

Trajan

Wow, this is great - I may be able to find photos of the guys who made the picture frames and boxes that Groningen produced and sold - the earlier ones were named... Can't wait to get home now and try!!!

Thanks

James

An excellent resource. Be aware, however, that the search engine and data are not without error. For example, the five able seamen of Nelson Battalion interned at Groningen are listed as Collingwood Battalion. The few internee ratings from Drake, Hood and Howe Battalions are also attributed to the wrong battalion (usually Collingwood) or are missing. Officer internees are also not included, nor are some men who escaped from Holland in May 1915.

Edited by horatio2

Great news that this valuable resource has finally come to light.

Sheer luck this archive survived 14 may 1940 (city hall top center, large building with towers on the corners)

Roel

post-5443-0-33161900-1415684530_thumb.jp

Finally have faces to names and objects that they made around 100 years ago! Lovely to be able to see them! Wonder whether they ever thought, 100 years on, their little wooden boxes and picture frames would even still exist, let alone now be repatriated with their photo!!

post-2897-0-99838700-1416224877_thumb.jp

post-2897-0-81278200-1416224897_thumb.jp

And especially E Ray Jones of Collingwood Battalion, responsible for these iconic paintings of Antwerp in flames, on boxes and picture frames - I alone have two boxes and two picture frames by this prolific chap! Great to see him, finally!

post-2897-0-54239500-1416224970_thumb.jp

That's excellent news! I was rather thinking when the discovery was announced that people might find photographs of lost relatives for whom they had no imagery - but this is also something nice and personal!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BBC Alba documentary on HMS Timbertown, focusing on the men from Lewis. Véry interesting :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kg1q1/galleries

http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/what-s-on/leisure/remarkable-wwi-story-of-hms-timbertown-1-3565101

and this website has some scans of the Camp magazine:

http://www.groningencamp.co.uk/

I see that the website http://www.groningencamp.co.uk/ is gone unfortunately, but you can still access it through the Wayback Machine : https://web.archive.org/web/2018*/www.groningencamp.co.uk

Edited by JWK

JWK,

Thanks for all this!! The site with the camp magazines is new to me, and very useful!!

Thanks

James

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I do have his original discharge certificate from HMS Helicon ex Calliope with dates from 2nd aug 1914 to 6th mar 1919 also a postcard photograph sent I believe to his sister Eliza. of him on a football team.Victory III RND Collingwood is on the certificate as well. Are these items of use to your web site.

There was only one Thomas THOMPSON, of Collingwood Battalion RND, who was interned in Holland: He was a pre-WW1 (August 1912) recruit to No.2 Company of Tyneside Division RNVR, Official No. Tyneside 2/157. He served as an Able Seaman RNVR in 'B' Company, Collingwood Bn. However, he did not give a middle name (Marshall) on enlistment. Born 14 August 1894 and resident at Heron Street, South Shields. I believe this could this be your late father.

Edited by horatio2

1 hour ago, derekb said:

Is this website still available?

I just noticed it's offline!

I have sent a message to the Rotterdam Cityarchives asking for the new webaddress (if there is one!), as I couldn't find it on their website/in their archives.

Will post their reply when received.