Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tony Robinson's WW1

ss002d6252

One of the better shows that I've watched so far although I think I've driven the wife off out of the room(she's not really interested in my comments regarding the show & couple of points I've raised ...).

Craig

Not bad for a Tony Robinson, though marred by a few minor inaccuracies from him and his summing up at the end annoyed! I have to wonder how much of Max Hastings' interviews were edited out so as to not contradict the 'Great Robinson's' perceived wisdom! Biggest annoyance were the photographs, which to me appeared so out of focus that they made my eyes ache. (or was that just me?)

Me as well with the photos.

I picked up on a couple of issues relating to the quoted military strengths and the use of the 'T.A'.

Craig

It was very interesting and enjoyable to watch, looking forward to the nest part.

Gerry

• 9 months later...

This programme is back on again, more's the pity.

Patronising pap except for Max Hastings' contribution.

Maxi

I've just watched this for the first time and thought that Tony Robinson was a very poor presenter. His 'style' may work on children's television but I found it simplistic and, at times, patronising. And who on earth, in Costume, approved that shirt? Shame because some of the photographs used were quite interesting.

I don't ever recall Tony Robinson declaring himself to be an expert. He is simply a presenter who "presents" what his programme-maker prepares. Inaccuracies will not be down to him. As far as style is concerned that's so personal it hardly makes any difference what someone thinks about it, as he is clearly seen as a popular and successful presenter to the masses.

Kevin

I don't ever recall Tony Robinson declaring himself to be an expert. He is simply a presenter who "presents" what his programme-maker prepares. Inaccuracies will not be down to him. As far as style is concerned that's so personal it hardly makes any difference what someone thinks about it, as he is clearly seen as a popular and successful presenter to the masses.

Kevin

It seems that anyone who takes on the task of presenting a WW1 Prog, will be slaughter by persons on this forum!

Ray

I think we sometimes forget that the greater proportion of views of these programmes do not have the knowledge that we have (or in my case think I have, always learning something new.)

It seems that anyone who takes on the task of presenting a WW1 Prog, will be slaughter by persons on this forum!

Ray

Yes of course.........