Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find my uncle Nathan baker.

Guest Jan59

Hello

I am trying to find more information on my uncle who served in France from 1914 to his death on the 4th September 1917. He was in the 2/7th West Yorkshire regiment prince of Wales.his service number was 267228 he was a rifleman.

I would like to know what battle the regiment was in around the time he died of wounds. Also if his regiment had any pictures taken, if anyone could help me with this I would be very grateful.

Welcome to the Forum.

Here are his details in Soldiers Died in the Great War:

Name: Nathan Baker

Birth Place: Leeds

Death Date: 4 Sep 1917

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Leeds

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment

Battalion: 2 7th Battalion

Regimental Number: 267228

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

I suggest you have a look at the West Yorks here at The Long, Long Trail. You'll be able to find out which Brigade and Division the Battalion was in and you can then discover where they fought.

If he died of wounds it's difficult to pinpoint the action as he may have been wounded weeks before he died. But the Battalion's war diaries here at the National Archives may help - they are downloadable for £3.30 or free to view at Kew. It's very unlikely Nathan will be mentioned by name but the diaries give good context and day-to-day details.

Mike

Thank you so much for that Mike.

Will check all this out and hopefully find out more.

I have been trying for awhile but hoped someone on here would know something's.

Will let you know what I find.

we live a long way from London so can't just go to the national archives,but will ring and see what they say.

janice

I've had a quick look at the 62nd Division and it seems there are no major actions between May and November 1917, so the war diaries are the best bet to find out the battalion's whereabouts in September. CWGC gives his burial place at Grevillers Cemetary just west of Bapaume...

Mike

Grevillers cemetery was used for burials from several casualty clearing stations (field hospitals). Men did not stay long at a CCS - they were either stablised and further evacuated, or they died. When you've got hold of the war diary, I suggest you look for information no longer than a week before he died.