Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA in Iraq in 1922

Guest smartchemist

Guest smartchemist

Good evening! This is the first time of using this forum so hope I'm posting in the write place.

I have recently received a copy of a death certificate for a Norman Stewart Hogben who I believe was one of my great uncles. The information on the certificate tells me his number was 1413809 and that he was a driver in the RGA. He died 29th July 1922 BSH Baghdad. He was 21 and died of heat exhaustion. The informant was AF A27 from OC 23rd BSH Baghdad and the death was registered 31st July 1922 in Baghdad, Iraq. The officer making the return was WM Welsh,

Major RFA Comdg. 10th Battery RFA.

My questions are many. I know nothing about him after the 1911 census so don't know if he joined up during the war and stayed on after. I can't find anything in the

Medal cards, nor anything to do with him joining up. I can't find anything on the CWGC website so have no idea what would have happened to his body.

Any information regarding anything on the certificate about units mentioned gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation

He died after WW1. His age of 21yrs in 1922 would seem to make him eligible for service around 1918/1919. At that time I think he would have had a shorter service number.

If he has no MIC it is probable that he did not serve overseas until after the Armistice.

Probably not strictly a WW1 question.