Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Records

Digi

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not please move or delete.

I'm researching my g'father's cousin who was WIA in WW1, he was born in 1882 and died in 1962. I know very little about him except that I found him on the 1901 census listed with parents & siblings. Parents were both dead by 1914. He never returned to his native Kilkenny / Tipperary after the war but lived out his days in Dalkey Dublin with his wife, a woman who nursed him during his recovery (maybe a nurse - there were several hospitals in the area where discharged WW1 vets recuperated)

I have found many soldiers with the same name (William Treacy/Tracey/Tracy) who enlisted from Ireland.

I have only 'memory', a photo with a note (no uniform) and a note in the cemetery records in Deansgrange, Dublin that he was a 'British War Pensioner' as proof of his enlistment - no headstone

I have MICs for the many Irish William Treacy/Tracey/Tracy's I found and have noted those with a SWB. I have eliminated any Reg# were I could find identifying info that proved they couldn't be 'my William'

I could connect the man and the record through an address or next of kin but the places where I can find the MIC's i.e. FindMyPast, Ancestry, National Museum etc. don't give me the other records (i.e. Attestation, Discharge etc., etc) and "All British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920" on ancestry do not list many of the men I found elsewhere - RIR Regimental # 3008 & 3733 for example

I realise his records could be among those that were burned but as he lived until 1962 there must be some record of a pension someplace.

I know I can get a manual search on pension records from the Western Front Association but as this could prove very expensive in William's case, I'd like to exhaust all other options first. By the way are these pension records different to the ones in the Ancestry Collection and on FindMyPast ("All British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920")

Am I missing something or does anybody have any pointers that will guide me to find my William

By the way are these pension records different to the ones in the Ancestry Collection and on FindMyPast ("All British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920")

Yes - the Western Front records are specifically in respect of the pension (although they do show associated information on the cards).

I have MICs for the many Irish William Treacy/Tracey/Tracy's I found and have noted those with a SWB.

You need to be careful in that not all discharged men received a SWB.

Craig

Yes - the Western Front records are specifically in respect of the pension (although they do show associated information on the cards).

You need to be careful in that not all discharged men received a SWB.

Craig

Thanks Craig, will I see the same people on Ancestry now as are on the records that must be manually searched - obviously without the associated info that is on the Cards?

I cannnot find RIR#3008 on Ancestry today (FREE) but I have found him in the past and have downloaded his MIC - from a different collection (Medal Rolls)

I thought that ALL who were WIA got a SWB - no?

A man had to have been discharged to get a SWB (and not all SWB were given for wounds) and it had to be applied for - many men who were discharged earlier in the war especially didn't receive one.

Craig

A man had to have been discharged to get a SWB (and not all SWB were given for wounds) and it had to be applied for - many men who were discharged earlier in the war especially didn't receive one.

Craig

Thanks for the reminder Craig, I'd read that but had completely forgotten - that makes it even more difficult to identify William's records Back the a needle in a haystack again :(

Thanks for the reminder Craig, I'd read that but had completely forgotten - that makes it even more difficult to identify William's records Back the a needle in a haystack again :(

Have you tried local newspapers ?

Craig

Have you tried local newspapers ?

Craig

'fraid so Craig :(

Would he have continued to receive a pension until his death and if so where would that have come from or be paid through? I have his address at time of death and a photo that clearly identify the address but he is a relatively young man it it so he must have live at the same address for most of his post war life