Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur R. Marchant - Essex Regiment

Doctord84

My paternal grandfather Arthur Reginald Marchant was initially in the Essex Regiment and later in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was not in the least bit Irish (he lived in Bedfordshire), but the family story is that because he could play the piano well and therefore entertain the officers he had quite a good time in the regiment! Family tradition says he served on the western front and I have his Victory medal and RDF cap badge, and one postcard of him when he was in the signal section of the Essex Regiment, but I don't know a lot else.

Having recently checked the medal rolls, I now know he was in the 13th Essex - service number 276966 - and the 1st RDF - 43556. As his service record hasn't survived, is there any way of pinpointing when he might have switched regiments?

thanks in anticipation

Dave

post-96627-0-54756000-1415541989_thumb.j

Hi Dave

I had exactly the same problem with my grand-father.

I eventually, after years of searching, found the date by looking at all the service records which ARE available going up and down from his old service number.

Eventually I found a man with a very similar regimental number who transferred to a very similar NEW number, giving me a close date. (does that make sense ??)

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

It does indeed thank you! I'm engaged on a similar exercise with 1400+ men of the East Riding Yeomanry at present!

The switch over must have taken place after the 1st RDF came over from Egypt, as there was never any mention of granddad having served "out east". t would be nice to work out precisely where he served.

Dave

Some progress already....Information from the Essex Regiment Museum indicates that (on the basis of the service number 276966) ARM would have been posted overseas after March 1917 and as the 13th Battalion was disbanded in February 1918, that narrows down the period when he transferred to the 1st RDF somewhat.