The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI

Scalyback

Any ideas what the "Res battalion RMLI" would be? Can't find any reference to it. Noted on records of a AOC armoury Sgt.

Would this chap be one of the AOC attached lot. Possible this is a home service battalion as I can not find any MIC to match the chap.

Reserve?

The RND Reserve Battalions (which included the 1st RMLI Reserve Battalion) were based at Blandford Camp until March 1918 when the RND Command Depot moved to Aldershot. At Aldershot 1st RMLI Reserve Battalion was based in Salamanca Barracks.

Thank you both.

If 1st RMLI Reserve stayed at home and I have the correct chaps paperwork (95% sure it is) then this makes life interesting to say the least.

There was an armourer-sergeant of the AOC attached to each infantry battalion, to repair and maintain rifles and, incidentally, bicycles as well.

Ron

There was an armourer-sergeant of the AOC attached to each infantry battalion, to repair and maintain rifles and, incidentally, bicycles as well.

Ron

I have the advert somewhere advertising for AOC bicycle mechs!

The key to this is with the CWGC and they will not release the information as "personal".

If 1st RMLI Reserve stayed at home ...

The role of the RND reserve battalions in UK was to provide training for reinforcements to the RND battalions in the BEF. In the case of 1st RMLI Reserve Battalion, to provide reinforcements to 1/RMLI and 2/RMLI. The reserve battalions were, therefore, constantly being replenished by new recruits.

What is this personal information that the CWGC will not release?

The paperwork I have refers to the AOC Sgt attached to the Battalion not a recruit. It is an outside chance this may be my Great Grandfather. However there is no MIC to match and then he appears in France as a CWGC worker married to a French lady(my Great Grand mother).

The question being where did he disappear to, then reappear as a CWGC worker. Now my belief is the workers files hold the information of previous military employment as this was the initial condition of a job with them. They will not allow access to these files.