Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wbremner

A dedicated website, "The Sportsman's Gazette", records the history of the 23rd, 24th and 30th Royal Fusiliers during the First World War. It includes a database of soldiers who enlisted in - or served with - the Sportsman's Battalions, which were raised by Mrs. Emma Cunliffe-Owen in 1914.

The website is being updated in sync with events that transpired one hundred years ago. While the database is limited initially to those soldiers who were on the 23rd's Nominal Roll, in time it will be expanded to include other soldiers and more information on each.

Hopefully this will serve as a useful resource for researchers interested in these unique WW1 battalions and the soldiers who served in them.

Probably goes without saying, but if anyone has information to add to this website and the database of soldiers in the battalion, all submissions are very welcome!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lauriemegson

i am looking for info on my great grandfathers whereabouts on his death 22/09/1917 mennin road area

pte richard willard 52632

formerly SPTS 5309 32nd battalion royal fusiliers london regiment

many thanks

laurie megson

Hi Wbremner.

My Great Uncle was a Special Reservist and was drafted to the 1st Battalion then to the 24th and then 4th Battalion and reverted back to the 24th Battalion until he was k.i.a on 24/03/1918. His name is Henry John Morrell Pte SR/9571. there was also a man called Walter Glew Cpl SPTS/3497 also killed on the 24/03/1918.

you have a very good website hope it goes well.Are there any photographs of companies of 24th Battalion, you never know my man might be on one

Regards Andy

Hi Laurie,

Have you researched the War Diaries at the National Archives? Here are the ones for the 32nd Royal Fusiliers, covering the dates May 1916 to October 917. If you find anything out, I'd be interested to know.

Based on some other attestations of that time, I suspect he enlisted with the 30th Royal Fusiliers (reserve battalion of the Sportsman's) in December 1915, was mobilized in June 1916, and went over to France in September 1916 having been transferred to 32RF. Can you confirm any of this?

I have it recorded that he was the husband of Annie Elizabeth Willard of Knells Cottage, Paddock Wood, Kent... is that correct?

i am looking for info on my great grandfathers whereabouts on his death 22/09/1917 mennin road area

pte richard willard 52632

formerly SPTS 5309 32nd battalion royal fusiliers london regiment

many thanks

laurie megson

Hi Andy, thanks.

I'll be adding info on the 24th in the future. I have both their names in my database already, and I'm guessing you have checked out the war diaries for the 24th already?

I have some photos of 24th Bn soldiers in England from the two volumes of the Sportsman's Gazette. Morrell won't be in there but Glew may be. Over time I'll be publishing these to my website.

Hi Wbremner.

My Great Uncle was a Special Reservist and was drafted to the 1st Battalion then to the 24th and then 4th Battalion and reverted back to the 24th Battalion until he was k.i.a on 24/03/1918. His name is Henry John Morrell Pte SR/9571. there was also a man called Walter Glew Cpl SPTS/3497 also killed on the 24/03/1918.

you have a very good website hope it goes well.Are there any photographs of companies of 24th Battalion, you never know my man might be on one

Regards Andy

Guest lauriemegson

Hi Laurie,

Have you researched the War Diaries at the National Archives? Here are the ones for the 32nd Royal Fusiliers, covering the dates May 1916 to October 917. If you find anything out, I'd be interested to know.

Based on some other attestations of that time, I suspect he enlisted with the 30th Royal Fusiliers (reserve battalion of the Sportsman's) in December 1915, was mobilized in June 1916, and went over to France in September 1916 having been transferred to 32RF. Can you confirm any of this?

I have it recorded that he was the husband of Annie Elizabeth Willard of Knells Cottage, Paddock Wood, Kent... is that correct?

that is correct address yes as to the rest i will check the diaries out the weekend and let you know

many thanks

There is article in local press of the time about recruitment of a sportsmans battalion and the Stork Hotel in Birmingham was going to be used as a temporary recruiting office on a certain date.

Do you want a copy?

Terry

Yes please Terry, much appreciated. I have a picture of recruiting at the Stork, but it's hard to see the faces, so if you have a better scan that would be great. Thanks.

There is article in local press of the time about recruitment of a sportsmans battalion and the Stork Hotel in Birmingham was going to be used as a temporary recruiting office on a certain date.
Do you want a copy?
Terry