Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iron Cross 2nd class

Khaki

I'm guessing the entire award in the field, but only based on AH and the famous newsreel footage of him awarding the medal plus ribbon to suspiciously young flak helpers. Adolf was careful to keep to military tradition.

Having said that, someone with real knowledge should be along shortly...

From the accounts I have read and photos from the field, both were awarded together. The medal would then be sent home or put away and the ribbon would be sewn on to the tunic.

Ralph

Was the medal of the EK2 actually awarded 'in the field' or was it just the ribbon?

thoughts please!

khaki

khaki,

Here is a photograph of an Iron Cross award ceremony at Verdun on 7th July, 1916, the photo caption mentions an officer, on the far left just out of the, holding a box containing the Iron Cross medals ( which is just in view ), so as Ralph has already said, both the medal and the ribbon were presented together.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-73552200-1415501303_thumb.j

Thanks for the replies everyone, LF, the photo of the award ceremony, the officer with his hands on his hips looks to me to be Prince Wilhelm von Hohenzollern Commander of the 6th? Army at Verdun and son of the Kaiser, would such an august personage be presenting EK2's. I would have thought that would have been done by more immediate commanders?

Back to my question, It seems based on research that the complete medal was presented in the field, and as already mentioned probably mailed home.

khaki

Thanks for the replies everyone, LF, the photo of the award ceremony, the officer with his hands on his hips looks to me to be Prince Wilhelm von Hohenzollern Commander of the 6th? Army at Verdun and son of the Kaiser, would such an august personage be presenting EK2's. I would have thought that would have been done by more immediate commanders?

Back to my question, It seems based on research that the complete medal was presented in the field, and as already mentioned probably mailed home.

khaki

Yes, it is Prince Wilhelm, and I am sure it was more about the Commander rewarding his front-line troops in person rather than the status of the award. Something that continued into WW2, with top Generals like Rommel, and even Hitler, presenting Iron Crosses to the troops.

Regards,

LF

Agree, by July the VERDUN battle was such a mess I'd think the CO of the Army would ;try to make awards in person as much as possible to keep up morale of the troops. Poor battle weary infantrymen or gunners or sappers would I'm sure get a thrill out being decorated by Royalty. Something to write home about when they sent the medal home to family. I've seen pics of men awarded the EK2 then pose for portrait when ceremony over. Then as said ribbon sewn on tunic for everyday wear.