Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MTVRP

The Doctor

I am helping a lady who is researching a letter from a KOYLI man who was still in France in 1920. He gave his address as KOYLI Att 6th MTVRP and she asked me what the letters MTVRP stand for. Unfortunately I don't know and nobody so far has been able to tell me. Hopefully there is someone on this forum who will.

The Doctor

We'll need to see the letter methinks. Or at the very least know the chap's name.

I've uploaded the letter - I hope. The writer was Pte MJ Alderson, 59179, who gave his address as KOYLI, att. 6th MTVRP, Cambrai. It is possible the T could be something else. His Ts and Ss are very similar. The original post I had from my colleague said Kightly, so that may have been the name of the soldier he was writing about.

post-117346-0-90197100-1415637318_thumb.

I think it's:

Mechanical Transport 6th Vehicle Reception Park.

I came across the abbreviation 9 VRP in my grandfather's record for 1919. He was in the ASC in various MT companies throughout the war.

I think the VRPs were assembly points for decomissioning/repatriating Mechanical Transport at the end of the war.

I've established the locations of some others and with this knowledge about 6VRP:

6VRP- Cambrai, France

8VRP- Ath, Belgium

23VRP- Abbeville, France

25VRP- Boisdinghem, nr St. Omer, France

I think that clinches it for me Dai, Young's. 'ASC' mentions twenty odd of these parks with one at Wissant near Calais.

Do we know which KOYLI battalion Alderson served with?

Jon

Spent a happy hour hunting through Michael Young's Army Service Corps 1902-1918.

No sign of 'MTVRP' specifically.

The closest reference I could find ties up well with Dai's post above (my use of bold) ...

"For the occupation of the Rhineland in 1919 1 and 51 Companies moved to Cologne, but orders came to disband in February. MT stores were returned to the Base, all indents were cancelled and personnel and vehicles moved to Wissant, near Calais, one of the twenty-odd MT Reception Parks, for demobilization and disposal."

I think that clinches it for me Dai, Young's. 'ASC' mentions twenty odd of these parks with one at Wissant near Calais.

Jon

Ha! Great minds ...

Young lists 7, 8, 10 and 24 MT Reception Parks as Lines of Communication troops and gives a PRO reference for their unit war diaries, together with the MT School of Instruction. of WO 95/4172.

Can't find 6 MT Reception Park.

Here's the link for the TNA catalogue entry for 7 MTRP: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7356932