The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newfoundland memorial thefts

Harveyfletch

I visited The Newfoundland memorial park on the 16 October and witnessed stickers placed in the cemetary safe' s in Hunters and Y ravine cemetaries , stating that the register and visitors book's were now housed in the visitor centre due to thefts . To cap this , the safe door at Y ravine cemetary was missing . The lady at the visitors was quite shocked when I told her . Had this door also been stolen ?

I visited The Newfoundland memorial park on the 16 October and witnessed stickers placed in the cemetary safe' s in Hunters and Y ravine cemetaries , stating that the register and visitors book's were now housed in the visitor centre due to thefts . To cap this , the safe door at Y ravine cemetary was missing . The lady at the visitors was quite shocked when I told her . Had this door also been stolen ?

Hi, just read your post, how very very sad that someone could stoop so low.

Regards

Garry

Hi, just read your post, how very very sad that someone could stoop so low.

Regards

Garry

It is just possible that it has been removed by the Commission for restoration - I have known this to happen in the past.

If I remember rightly, the door at Y Ravine cemetery was also stolen several years ago, so this is evidently a recurrent problem.