Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"For the Fallen" East Coast railway locomotive

NigelS

This seems to have slipped under the radar - least I think it has - the renaming of East Coast route locomotive 91111 as "For the Fallen" with special remembrance graphics added as a tribute to the railway workers of that route's contribution to the Great War

Click & Click (video)

NigelS

Thanks for posting this, Nigel. I don't remember seeing/hearing anything about it before today which is a great shame.

Edited by Standard Bearer

Thank you, Nigel. I missed this too. The combination of the train, the individual railwayman's story and the band playing 'I vow to thee my country' on the video was very affecting. And Portillo did his bit explaining about the trains and logistics.

Liz

The initial unveiling commenced in Newcastle on 14t October.

http://northumbriangunner.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/for-fallen-east-coast-main-line.html

The Tyneside Scottish were the representative unit for Newcastle. In 1914 the TS were the 20th to 23rd Battalions Northumberland Fusiliers. In 2014 the honour title is held by 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery Royal Artillery.

The Tyneside Scottish is the only Pal Battalion title still in the order of battle of the British Army today (awaits gidzillion e-mails to the contrary)

East Coast Main Line have produced a commemorative booklet together with a commemorative lapel badge of the locomotives nameplate which were handed out at the Newcastle event. The booklet details information on each of the five selected units, and those from the railway companies who volunteered for Army service.

I believe there was an unveiling in Leeds (1914 Green Howards / 2014 Yorkshire Regiment). I assume the Royal Scots will be Edinburgh (1914 Royal Scots / 2014 Royal Regiment of Scotland). I am not sure where the Royal Dragoons will be unveiled.

Ian

I believe there has also been n unveiling at Leeds.