Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leslie John Bly 9837

the fox and the glove

Following on from the excellent information provided in respect of my grandfather's brother (Bertie Raymond Johnson), I wonder if anyone could help me find out more about my grandmother's brother Leslie John Bly. I know he was a private in the 3rd Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment and that he died on 4 March 1919 and is buried in Woodbridge. My mother was told that he died on board ship of pneumonia. Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you all once more, Lisa.

Hello Lisa,

Have you looked at his Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry ?

BLY, LESLIE JOHN
Service No: 9837
Date of Death: 04/03/1919
Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 3rd Bn.
Grave Reference: J. 30.
Cemetery: FELIXSTOWE NEW CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of George and Elizabeth Bly, of Suffield, Aylsham, Norfolk.

Hello Old Sweats

Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes I have seen the entry in the Commonwealth War Graves site, I just wondered if anyone would have any clue as to what he would have been doing in March 1919. I understand that the 3rd Bn of the Norfolk Regiment is a reserve regiment, I really wondered if anyone could cast any light on why he might have died on board ship of pneumonia?

I am so grateful for the information provided by the people on this site who are so generous at sharing information; it has had a great impact on my extended family too.

Lisa

Hello Lisa,

March 1919 was still within the time of the almost worldwide Spanish Influenza epidemic, so it is a possibility that he was a victim.

Only his Death Certificate will be able to confirm this.

Norfolk Regiment 3rd (Reserve) Battalion:

August 1914 : in Norwich. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war.

Moved to Felixstowe in August 1914 and remained there throughout the war.

This is probably why he is buried in Felixstowe rather than Woodbridge (?)

As to why he died on board a ship - as a huge shot in the dark I would suggest you see if there are any records of a hospital ship moored at Felixstowe.

Thinking about it, his D.C. should also give the location of his death.

CGM

Hello and thank you once again - I will have to ask mum to go through all her paperwork again. You have given me more to think about - thanks

Lisa