Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Trench Map Enquiry?

andy2014

Hi

We have recently discovered a relative killed at Gallipoli.

Killed 13th July 1915, Portsmouth Battalion, RMLI.

So far i have read that at 4.30 pm on 13th July 1915 , the Portsmouth Batt were sent in on the orders of General Sir Ian Hamilton at the battle of Achi Baba Nullah.

It seems there was confusion with the no. of trenches ahead of them, 3 trenches on the map when were there was actually 2 and merely a depression which was confused on translating the ariel photographs and they pressed on too far, suffered losses badly and fell back again.

A mistake also taken previously by the 1/5th Scots Fusiliers on the same trenches

Next task is to locate the area and we are looking for trench maps.

I see the maps from the time are mere scribbles and almost doodles and nothing like the maps from France.

I am struggling to corolate a clear map of the area, the trenches and visualize the position they were in and locate its approx location.

Only reason is that he was never found and is noted on the Helles memorial.

May look to visit next year and it would be nice to see the area and find the location in question and visualize the area and pay our respects.

Any info or tips greatly appreciated on any aspect of the battles and on that day!

Great Thanks

Andy

The maps I have seen show the towns with lots of height info. Some have blue lines and black dotted lines but nothing to say what they represent.

Just keep googling in the hope something comes up.

Andy

If you re-post your question in the Gallipoli section of the forum it may be of help. I'm aware that some of those members have trench maps. Some of which have been overlaid on google earth giving a good impression of the terrain that everyone was dealing with.

Regards

Alan