Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal field artillery - recuitment in Preston

ProudPreston

Dear members,

A quick query relating to RFA recuitment In Preston Lancashire. I know it being No 2 depot and the reserves It sent. I can't find any details of any more battalions raisesd despite newspapers saying "6000" had recruited by sept 1914.

Any advise on my confusion?

Cheers,

David Huggonson

Cheers for the reply. I've found those details but I'm trying to understand the 6.000 recruits. Maybe I'm being looking at it wrongly:

Would those reserve units be those 6.000 men?

Cheers

David

Oh thank god someone else from Preston ;P

I didn't know the RFA had a depot there... where abouts was it ?

Cheers John

The 6000 could mean the number of men recruited throughout the UK that were allocated to RFA.

By Sept 1914 would Preston have been able to have trained that number?

How big was Fullwood Barracks?

John, yes I've done lots on Preston! Don't come on here often! The depot was at Fulwood barracks - shared with East Lancs and Loyals. The quote I put in my history just mentions "6000" recruits of a splendid type. See here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CydmBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT29&lpg=PT29&dq=recruitment+rfa+6000+preston&source=bl&ots=VcsNReojRg&sig=ltKCLPJYYM-lwvDvhbwHfT6t5tE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VsBcVPv-CMqS7AbS8YD4CA&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAQ

I doubt Preston could train that number but they coins have sent them to training camps?? I'm aiming to find recuitment figures tomorrow at national archives. From a previous visit and using long lost trail - around ten battalions were raised for east lancs and loyal north lancs by autumn 1914. Figures show full strength for 7th battalion etc. They wouldn't have been all local but they have a recuitment boom - Fulwood barracks had accommodation for just over 1,000 men.

David

Sort of explains why men were eager to march up to Fulwood barracks to join the Loyals.... only to be send to some distant regiment down south etc

Would have been a bit of a shock..no more space at the barracks so send them elsewhere

cheers