Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy knives

Khaki

I believe that the issue 'Jack Knife' as they are known was essentially the same between the Navy & the Army and have often wondered if the term 'Jack Knife' is in sme way associated with the term 'Jolly Jack Tar' etc. Being Senior Service I imagine the name may well have derived within the Navy first, and would be interested to know if anyone can confirm this. I also assume this is why the knives have a marlin spike - used to splice rope, which when used on land is said to be useful for removing stones from horses hoofs!

I know of at least one well recognized photo which shows a naval rating on board a ship with a Jack Knife swinging from a length of string tied around his waist. Can locate it at the moment however.

David

Being Senior Service I imagine the name may well have derived within the Navy first,

David

That makes sense as the working sailor has always needed a knife for his duties. I don`t recall ever needing mine in army service except for eyeing potatoes when on cookhouse fatigues. :angry:

That makes sense as the working sailor has always needed a knife for his duties. I don`t recall ever needing mine in army service except for eyeing potatoes when on cookhouse fatigues. :angry:

Mine was used and the marlin spike also, well bleeps need rope and wire in different length!

I believe that the issue 'Jack Knife' as they are known was essentially the same between the Navy & the Army

David

Am I correct in understanding that if I am buying a knife that has no provenance or personal markings that it is not possible to determine whether it is army or navy.

thanks

khaki

I'll stick my neck out and say 'yes.' I've never seen a personally inscribed jack-knife, but that isn't to say they are not out there. The main thing is to make sure it is a military pattern knife, arrow stamped ideally.

David

Based on a sample of 1, my Grandfather's naval Jack Knife has horn side scales not the black composite of the army knife.

There is a reasonable amount on Goo*** if you do a web search.

G

Without doing an actual count, I'd say about one in ten of my first war knives has a service number stamped on the marlin spike. The incidence of marking is higher for the Boer War era ones I have. On those the number is branded into the horn scales. Short of a service number I don't think there is any possibility of determining where it served.