:poppy:

post-91995-0-51179400-1415233886_thumb.j

post-91995-0-11131700-1415234052_thumb.j

post-91995-0-75554600-1415234103_thumb.j

post-91995-0-67304300-1415234313_thumb.j

post-91995-0-07205000-1415234353_thumb.j

I can't recall seeing another memorial which gives the place where the servicemen were actually killed or died - is this a unique memorial?

I wonder why the three names at the bottom (identified as "Died") don't have any information? I've just made a short search on the CWGC web site, and this is what I have come up with:

Lance Corporal E (Edward) Cheadle. Leading Aircraftman 20250, 53 Squadron, Royal Air Force; died 14th March 1919, aged 25. Buried in the Terlincthun British Cemetery. Son of William and Elizabeth Cheadle of Burston, Staffordshire.

Private S Dainty. There isn't a person with this name or date of death on the web site. However, there are two possibilities in the South Staffordshire Regiment as follows:

Private William Dainty, 39377, 7th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, died 21st August 1915, aged 24. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial. Son of Henry and Clara Dainty of 7 Thomas Street, Wolverhampton.

Private J Dainty, 3449, 1st / 6th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, died 1st July 1916, aged unknown. Buried at Fonquevillers Military Cemetery. Son of Mr J H Dainty of Reemer Hill, Cannock, Staffordshire.

Sapper Frank Snape. Pioneer 274001, Royal Engineers, died 9th October 1917, aged 27. Buried in Sandon (All Saints) Churchyard, Staffordshire (which I guess is very near to the memorial?). Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Snape of Sandon Road, Hilderstone, Stone, Staffordshire.

I suppose that it may be that nothing was known about the people when the memorial was built, but I'm only guessing about this - does anyone have any thoughts?

Oh, and I should have said this earlier ... these are excellent photos; thank you!

Scorer - there are two other memorials that I'm aware of which list the names of the dead with each man's place and year of death. One is at Casterton, near Kirby Lonsdale in Westmoreland, which has six names. The other is at Edgerston, Roxburghshire, which has nine names similarly recorded. So the Sandon memorial isn't unique in this respect, but memorials which do this are certainly a rarity.

Tom

It is very interesting though! - thanks for your comments, clearly the estate valued their men which is somewhat endearing.

Scorer - there are two other memorials that I'm aware of which list the names of the dead with each man's place and year of death. One is at Casterton, near Kirby Lonsdale in Westmoreland, which has six names. The other is at Edgerston, Roxburghshire, which has nine names similarly recorded. So the Sandon memorial isn't unique in this respect, but memorials which do this are certainly a rarity.

Tom

Thank you for this; I doubt that I'll ever manage to see any of these, but it's worth knowing.

Private S Dainty. There isn't a person with this name or date of death on the web site...

Perhaps a non-com? The following entry in the death index would seem to fit with the info on the memorial:

Name: Stephen Dainty

Birth Date: abt 1892

Date of Registration: Mar 1919

Age at Death: 27

Registration district: Stone

Inferred County: Staffordshire

Volume: 6b

Page: 69

Also this MIC:

post-89772-0-18753100-1415619788_thumb.j

Perhaps a non-com? The following entry in the death index would seem to fit with the info on the memorial:

But if that is his medal card (with a BWM + VM) then he wasn't a non-combatant?

BillyH.

Name: Stephen Dainty

Birth Date: abt 1892

Date of Registration: Mar 1919

Age at Death: 27

Registration district: Stone

Inferred County: Staffordshire

Volume: 6b

Page: 69

Also this MIC:

attachicon.gif30850_A000407-01188.jpg

Yes, it looks as if it could be the one - the name's right, which means that it's nearer than the two that I found, anyway!

I haven't been able to find him on the CWGC web site, though, so the mystery may be continuing.

But if that is his medal card (with a BWM + VM) then he wasn't a non-combatant?

BillyH.

Sorry, I meant non-com as in not commemorated by the CWGC, not a non-combatant.

Had a quick look on google, apparently he is also named on the war memorial at Weston near Stafford: http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/world-war-and-commemorative-memorials/p90069-weston-war-memorial-2c-staffordshire.html

Edited by PaulC78

Sorry, I meant non-com as in not commemorated by the CWGC, not a non-combatant.

Had a quick look on google, apparently he is also named on the war memorial at Weston near Stafford: http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/world-war-and-commemorative-memorials/p90069-weston-war-memorial-2c-staffordshire.html

Ah, that does make sense now that we've clarified what "non-com" actually stood for - thanks.

• 3 years later...

That is really a fitting tribute wish more looked so good

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to Stephen Dainty who was mentioned above, I've found the following notice of his death in the Staffordshire Advertiser. The Effects Register also indicates that he died from pneumonia. It's not clear if he died in service or not...

dainty.PNG

Edited by PaulC78

Thanks Richard for the update...looks splendid now as it should.