Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Marsden 70674 2nd Sherwood Foresters

RememberingHarryMarsden

Hi

I've been researching my Great Grandfather's life, as my Mum and I had a few bits of information from members of the family.

A few years ago, I started looking at my family tree, so I am familiar with the Ancestry site, which then led me to medal cards etc.

I know Harry was in the 6th reserve battalion of the 2nd Sherwood Foresters and was wounded on about the 27th October 1917. He had shrapnel injuries which led to blindness, the story he told was that he was piled up with the dead, but as someone came along with the lime to tip over the bodies, they noticed him move and he was recovered.

I have found a copy of his pension record which is dated 22nd October 1914, he enlisted as a Private at the age of 31 years and 4 months.

What I'd really like to find is details of his battalion's movements to find out which battle he was wounded in.

Thanks in advance, Skye.

Unless I have misread it the dates of him being wounded in action was the 28/09/16 and 25/03/17. From what I can make out is that he served with the 6th Reserve Battalion (Chesterfield) at the Depot, then posted to the 1/6th and then was later posted onto the 2nd Regular Battalion 20th April 1917 (when he was back home).

His last date of being wounded shows on his papers as the 25th March 1917; War Diary shows...............25th March 1917. About 4.30 am the Germans made a raid on the left of the Battalion front. The Battalion is holding a very extended front with a gap between its left sentry group and the 9th Norfolk Regiment on the left. The Germans put up a very heavy barrage with minnenwerfer and aerial darts over the whole Battalion front and entered the trenches in the gap on the left.

They worked up behind our left and rushed an isolated sentry group guardimg two Stokes Mortar Guns. They were beaten off leaving 1 Officer, 1 NCO and 1 OR dead in our trenches. BRONNO.

Cheers Bronno, that's interesting reading!

Can you point me in the right direction to finding his paperwork please? I've only found his medal card and I think, territorial force enlistment from 22/10/14.

I have no idea when he was actually wounded badly enough to be discharged but his medal card says the following:

KR Para 392 XVI

AO 26/5/17

Para AI

Discharged 27/10/17.

Its all there in his Pension Papers which are on line (Ancestry) under his early regimental number of 2164. BRONNO.

I cant see anything regarding the dates he was wounded, just wondered where you had found them.