Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17027 L-Cpl Sydney Oliver John Bull 6th Bn Northamptonshire Regiment

angieaude

hello i just found out that my great uncle LANCE CORPORAL SYDNEY OLIVER JOHN BULL 17027 who was my grandmothers brother; had recieved the DCM and died the 2 july 1918, in france and is buries in the somme,as i live in france i am so pleased that i will be able too pay my respects too him by visiting his grave; does anybody have any more information about my uncle please, would be well apreciated thank you

mrs angie dubois

From Long Long Trail, top left of this page.

6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Northampton in September 1914 as part of K2 and attached as Army Troops to 18th (Eastern) Division. Moved to Colchester.
November 1914 :transferred to 54th Brigade in same Division. Moved to Salisbury Plain in May 1915.
26 July 1915 : landed in France.

If you follow the Division and Brigade you will get an idea of where he was.

A War Diary may be available from The National Archives to download.

From Long Long Trail, top left of this page.

6th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Northampton in September 1914 as part of K2 and attached as Army Troops to 18th (Eastern) Division. Moved to Colchester.

November 1914 :transferred to 54th Brigade in same Division. Moved to Salisbury Plain in May 1915.

26 July 1915 : landed in France.

If you follow the Division and Brigade you will get an idea of where he was.

A War Diary may be available from The National Archives to download.

oh thankyou very much seems a bit complicated but i will try regards

oh thankyou very much seems a bit complicated but i will try regards

do you have the link for me please

http://www.1914-1918.net/northants.htm

The Long Long Trail is at the the top of this page. Click on it next to the Forum button.

There is loads of info there including how to research a soldier.

A google of CWGC will enable you to see a grave reference for him.

Get a feel of what was going on and come back with a load more questions.

You could also use this sites search facility for 6 Northamptons which should bring up earlier posts and info.

The 6th Northamptons war diary is here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352999

There is also a Brigade History available in reprint (54th Infantry Brigade - the battalion was one of 4 Battalions in the Brigade) and the 18th Divisions (54th Brigade was one of the 3 Brigades of the Division). There is also an exceedingly rare battalion history. I will need to clear out a gap or two in my messages box, but will see what I can do for you on the latter.

He would have been in the same "batch" of men going to the 6th Battalion as my great-uncle (No. 17023) so I am fairly sure I have at least looked at his army career before. I will check on my computer when I get home.

EDIT:

His service records are on Ancestry (also available on FindMyPast I imagine):

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&MS_AdvCB=1&db=BritishArmyService&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&gss=angs-d&gsfn=sidney&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=bull&gsln_x=XO&dbOnly=_F8007A65%7c_F8007A65_x%2c_F0007CF4%7c_F0007CF4_x%2c_F0007E0C%7c_F0007E0C_x&uidh=5k3&pcat=39&fh=1&h=253256&recoff=&ml_rpos=2

Steve.

There is also a Brigade History available in reprint (54th Infantry Brigade - the battalion was one of 4 Battalions in the Brigade) and the 18th Divisions (54th Brigade was one of the 3 Brigades of the Division). There is also an exceedingly rare battalion history. I will need to clear out a gap or two in my messages box, but will see what I can do for you on the latter.

He would have been in the same "batch" of men going to the 6th Battalion as my great-uncle (No. 17023) so I am fairly sure I have at least looked at his army career before. I will check on my computer when I get home.

EDIT:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&MS_AdvCB=1&db=BritishArmyService&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&gss=angs-d&gsfn=sidney&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=bull&gsln_x=XO&dbOnly=_F8007A65%7c_F8007A65_x%2c_F0007CF4%7c_F0007CF4_x%2c_F0007E0C%7c_F0007E0C_x&uidh=5k3&pcat=39&fh=1&h=253256&recoff=&ml_rpos=2

Steve.

oh thank you so much its really so interesting,,

The Long Long Trail is at the the top of this page. Click on it next to the Forum button.

You could also use this sites search facility for 6 Northamptons which should bring up earlier posts and info.

thankyou so much i will try

dont seem too be very good at research cant find anything or you have too pay

The sites I have given you are FREE. The National Archives give a free search and results. If you want to download for instance the War Diary, it will cost £3.30 . If it is split into sections it will be £3.30 per section.

CWGC is FREE. It will tell you where he is buried, usually his rank, Regiment and service number.

Long Long Trail is FREE This should explain most aspects of WW1.

Ancestry is by subscription.

No one said research was easy!!

The sites I have given you are FREE. The National Archives give a free search and results. If you want to download for instance the War Diary, it will cost £3.30 . If it is split into sections it will be £3.30 per section.

CWGC is FREE. It will tell you where he is buried, usually his rank, Regiment and service number.

Long Long Trail is FREE This should explain most aspects of WW1.

Ancestry is by subscription.

No one said research was easy!!

that i know; i do know where he is buried now and i shall go and visit his grave with my family,,i just wondered if i could find photos off him thanks alot

EDIT:

Steve.

thankyyou very much ; i find it a bit complicated too find sorry,,i would like too know where my great uncle fought in france and where he actually died,,can you help me please

I have added some notes on the battalion's locations along with the various dates of Sidney Bull's movements/promotions. Apart from some leave home he stayed with the battalion all through the war.

• Born at All Saints, Northampton on 9-7-1895.
  • Address: The Lodge, Long Buckby, Northants (as of 1911)
  • A labourer prior to enlisting
  • Enlisted at Northampton on 18-1-1915
  • Posted to the Northamptonshire Regiment Depot, 19-1-1915
  • Posted to 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, 20-1-1915
  • Embarked to France with the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 26-7-1915
  • The last half of 1915 and the first half of 1916 were spent on the Somme (then a quiet area) in the region of Fricourt and later Carnoy
  • Would have been with his battalion on the First Day of the Somme just west of the village of Montauban, 1-7-1916 (The 18th Division being one of the successful Divisions on an otherwise terrible day)
  • The 6th Northamptons and 12th Middlesex assaulted and captured Trones Wood on the Somme in an attack before dawn, 14-7-1916
  • The 6th Northamptons were in support to the assaulting battalions at Thiepval on 26-9-1916 tasked with clearing cellars and dugouts that the assault had passed over
  • All three attacks in 1916 in which the battalion took part were unqualified successes (as far as the battalion were concerned)
  • Leave to England, 6-1-1917 (length not specified but probably one or two weeks)
  • The 6th Northamptons assaulted Boom Ravine near Petit Miraumont on the Somme on 17-2-1917 being only partially successful, suffering their first reverse
  • After the Germans withdrew to the Hindenburg Line in March 1917 the battalion moved forward in an armed reconnaissance mode and found the Germans at Croisilles. The battalion were beaten back.
  • A larger attack was then made at Cherisy on 3-5-1917, with the 6th Battalion being sent in as a second wave after the first was repulsed. Though they rescued some stranded soldiers their attack also failed.
  • Appointed as an unpaid Lance-Corporal, 8-5-1917
  • After the battle at Cherisy the battalion moved to the Ypres Salient and took part in attacks at Glencourse Wood during the 3rd Battle of Ypres on 10-8-1917
  • Later in the Battle the battalion moved to the area of Poelcapelle at the foot of the Passchendaele Ridge and remained there until early 1918
  • By March 1918 the battalion had moved back to the south and the area south of Saint Quentin
  • On 21-3-1918 the Germans Launched Operation Michael pushing the British back many miles. The British made a fighting withdrawal and regrouped near Amiens
  • Posted as Missing from the 6th Battalion on the first day of the German Spring Offensive of 1918, 21-3-1918
  • Rejoined 6th Bn. soon thereafter
  • Appointed as a paid Lance-Corporal, 24-3-1918
  • On 4/5-4-1918 the battalion were at Hangard Wood near Villers Bretonneux and helped repulse German attacks in the area
  • On 24-4-1918 the battalion faced an attack by German tanks at Cachy, again near Villers Bretonneux. The attacks were driven back with the assistance of British tanks
  • In June 1918 the battalion moved to the area just north-west of the town of Albert on the Somme
  • Posted as Missing as a L/Cpl. of 6th Bn, 2-7-1918.
  • Next of Kin notified, 1-8-1918
  • Officially recorded as being killed in action, 2-7-1918
  • Buried near place of death in 1918
  • Originally buried at trench map reference 57d.w.21.d.1.9 (now in a field north-west of Albert railway station) - modern co-ords: 50.0133, 2.6365 (this is just west of the area where the battalion were at the time of Sydney Bull's death)
  • Grave moved ("concentrated to a larger cemetery) in late 1919 - body exhumed and reinterred.
  • Now buried at Grave II. H. 1., BOUZINCOURT RIDGE CEMETERY, ALBERT
  • Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, Gazetted 30-10-1918 "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty while in charge of a Lewis gun section after a successful attack. He reorganised his own section and another and led on to a position which was being heavily shelled. After establishing a post there he remained the whole of the following day and kept his gun in action during a hostile counter-attack, until the enemy were within a few yards."
  • Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Bull, of College House, Creaton, Northampton. Born at Long Buckby, Rugby.
  • Sources: WO363 Service Record, 2 Medal Index Cards - 1 for 1914-15 Star, 1 for BWM/VM, London Gazette

Steve.

I have never found a photo of Sydney Bull - I suspect one would have been in the Daventry or Rugby papers if anywhere, but I have never got to go through those papers (wrong side of the county for me)

Steve.

If you go to the link below and plug in the trench map reference below you will see the rough location of his original burial.

http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html

57d.w.21.d.1.9

Steve

thanks alot

Angie,

I live 2 miles from Long Buckby so will send you a snap of the war memorial with Sydney's name on.

Will look to see if I have anything else on him too - have done a little research but guess Stevie has captured what's available.

Ant

I have added some notes on the battalion's locations along with the various dates of Sidney Bull's movements/promotions. Apart from some leave home he stayed with the battalion all through the war.

• Born at All Saints, Northampton on 9-7-1895.
  • Address: The Lodge, Long Buckby, Northants (as of 1911)
  • A labourer prior to enlisting
  • Enlisted at Northampton on 18-1-1915
  • Posted to the Northamptonshire Regiment Depot, 19-1-1915
  • Posted to 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, 20-1-1915
  • Embarked to France with the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 26-7-1915
  • The last half of 1915 and the first half of 1916 were spent on the Somme (then a quiet area) in the region of Fricourt and later Carnoy
  • Would have been with his battalion on the First Day of the Somme just west of the village of Montauban, 1-7-1916 (The 18th Division being one of the successful Divisions on an otherwise terrible day)
  • The 6th Northamptons and 12th Middlesex assaulted and captured Trones Wood on the Somme in an attack before dawn, 14-7-1916
  • The 6th Northamptons were in support to the assaulting battalions at Thiepval on 26-9-1916 tasked with clearing cellars and dugouts that the assault had passed over
  • All three attacks in 1916 in which the battalion took part were unqualified successes (as far as the battalion were concerned)
  • Leave to England, 6-1-1917 (length not specified but probably one or two weeks)
  • The 6th Northamptons assaulted Boom Ravine near Petit Miraumont on the Somme on 17-2-1917 being only partially successful, suffering their first reverse
  • After the Germans withdrew to the Hindenburg Line in March 1917 the battalion moved forward in an armed reconnaissance mode and found the Germans at Croisilles. The battalion were beaten back.
  • A larger attack was then made at Cherisy on 3-5-1917, with the 6th Battalion being sent in as a second wave after the first was repulsed. Though they rescued some stranded soldiers their attack also failed.
  • Appointed as an unpaid Lance-Corporal, 8-5-1917
  • After the battle at Cherisy the battalion moved to the Ypres Salient and took part in attacks at Glencourse Wood during the 3rd Battle of Ypres on 10-8-1917
  • Later in the Battle the battalion moved to the area of Poelcapelle at the foot of the Passchendaele Ridge and remained there until early 1918
  • By March 1918 the battalion had moved back to the south and the area south of Saint Quentin
  • On 21-3-1918 the Germans Launched Operation Michael pushing the British back many miles. The British made a fighting withdrawal and regrouped near Amiens
  • Posted as Missing from the 6th Battalion on the first day of the German Spring Offensive of 1918, 21-3-1918
  • Rejoined 6th Bn. soon thereafter
  • Appointed as a paid Lance-Corporal, 24-3-1918
  • On 4/5-4-1918 the battalion were at Hangard Wood near Villers Bretonneux and helped repulse German attacks in the area
  • On 24-4-1918 the battalion faced an attack by German tanks at Cachy, again near Villers Bretonneux. The attacks were driven back with the assistance of British tanks
  • In June 1918 the battalion moved to the area just north-west of the town of Albert on the Somme
  • Posted as Missing as a L/Cpl. of 6th Bn, 2-7-1918.
  • Next of Kin notified, 1-8-1918
  • Officially recorded as being killed in action, 2-7-1918
  • Buried near place of death in 1918
  • Originally buried at trench map reference 57d.w.21.d.1.9 (now in a field north-west of Albert railway station) - modern co-ords: 50.0133, 2.6365 (this is just west of the area where the battalion were at the time of Sydney Bull's death)
  • Grave moved ("concentrated to a larger cemetery) in late 1919 - body exhumed and reinterred.
  • Now buried at Grave II. H. 1., BOUZINCOURT RIDGE CEMETERY, ALBERT
  • Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, Gazetted 30-10-1918 "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty while in charge of a Lewis gun section after a successful attack. He reorganised his own section and another and led on to a position which was being heavily shelled. After establishing a post there he remained the whole of the following day and kept his gun in action during a hostile counter-attack, until the enemy were within a few yards."
  • Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Bull, of College House, Creaton, Northampton. Born at Long Buckby, Rugby.
  • Sources: WO363 Service Record, 2 Medal Index Cards - 1 for 1914-15 Star, 1 for BWM/VM, London Gazette

Steve.

. just fantastic thanks so much i wonder if i have any relatives left in northampton that i dont know off thanks so much

• spof changed the title to 17027 L-Cpl Sydney Oliver John Bull 6th Bn Northamptonshire Regiment