Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gun. Price?

trenchtrotter

16 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi,

I am on the continent at the Mo, but it has been my experiance that each country interprates these laws differently. Many European countries have no deac certificates as far as I know. In Germany most legal deacs don't even have a stamp on them. Only a portion have the BKA stamps on them.

It all changed earlier this year. Now a EU wide policy as part of latest firearms directive.

TT

6 hours ago, trenchtrotter said:

It all changed earlier this year. Now a EU wide policy as part of latest firearms directive.

TT

Well, then the kids will have to figure it out when I kick the bucket, hopefully in 20 years or more...

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

its pants!

TT

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the position would be if a firearm deactivated to the old spec was bequeathed in someone's will.  Since the offence is in selling, giving or otherwise transferring ownership who would be responsible in that case.  If the executor(s) carried out the bequest, would they be held responsible, or would it be held that the bequest was invalid as it was effectively a criminal act? 

9 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the position would be if a firearm deactivated to the old spec was bequeathed in someone's will.  Since the offence is in selling, giving or otherwise transferring ownership who would be responsible in that case.  If the executor(s) carried out the bequest, would they be held responsible, or would it be held that the bequest was invalid as it was effectively a criminal act? 

See the second post down here - http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=50583&start=192

Craig

Thanks for that, that looks like a very interesting thread., I shall read it thoroughly at my leisure!

Edited by 593jones

I give mine to my son before this new law came about, and borrow it when needed.

Gerwyn

A silly question, but will Brexit change the UK laws? Why would they stay the same as the EU ones?

6 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

A silly question, but will Brexit change the UK laws?

Who can tell at this stage?

After 2019, the proposal is that the UK will absorb all EU legislation onto the statute book.

The UK would then have the power to amend any legislation a required.

I can't see that machine gun legislation would be a particularly high priority for the government of the day though.

Indeed, when did a UK government, any UK government, relax any legislation relating to firearms?  History shows that legislation becomes more restrictive as governments are eager to be seen to do something about gun crime.  The fact that whatever legislation is passed has no effect whatever does not appear to make any difference. 

10 hours ago, 593jones said:

Indeed, when did a UK government, any UK government, relax any legislation relating to firearms?

An example I can think of is CO2 powered guns coming off FAC in 1997 - a small silver lining in the cartridge firing handgun ban.

Arguably the legal position on deactivated firearms being tidied up in 1988 was also a liberalisation in the sense that their production and ownership became easier and more widespread.

You are broadly correct though. As Section 128 is currently written, the 'defectively deactivated' nonsense will expire when the UK leaves the EU. However, I'm not holding my breath that they'll leave it alone. The Home Office etc. would be very happy to see old specs driven into extinction at no cost to the treasury.

5 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

An example I can think of is CO2 powered guns coming off FAC in 1997 - a small silver lining in the cartridge firing handgun ban.

Arguably the legal position on deactivated firearms being tidied up in 1988 was also a liberalisation in the sense that their production and ownership became easier and more widespread.

:You're right, of course, and there was also the Obsolete Calibre regulations, which enable me to own my Martini Henry without it being deactivated or on ticket.

I suspect ;you're right about Section 128, it may expire when we leave the EU, but I am sure the regulation will be included in UK law.

Mess up in post :(

Gerwyn

Edited by pioneecorps

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.7.2017 at 10:51, peregrinvs said:

As Section 128 is currently written, the 'defectively deactivated' nonsense will expire when the UK leaves the EU. However, I'm not holding my breath that they'll leave it alone. The Home Office etc. would be very happy to see old specs driven into extinction at no cost to the treasury.

I was under the impression that the UK was partially responsible for the new draconian EU laws?

The wording is nonsense, if it is defectively deactivated then it can be made to work, which UK de-acts cannot. 

Some proof on how a UK defective de-act can be made to work needs to go through the courts. 

If they are def' de-act, how come we are allowed to keep them?

Absolute lunacy for HMG to allow thousands of reactivatable firearms to still be in circulation, or is it they know there is no problem?

As I understand it the new magazine restrictions were the gift of the then Home Secretary, now the PM.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:25, T8HANTS said:

The wording is nonsense, if it is defectively deactivated then it can be made to work, which UK de-acts cannot. 

Some proof on how a UK defective de-act can be made to work needs to go through the courts. 

If they are def' de-act, how come we are allowed to keep them?

Absolute lunacy for HMG to allow thousands of reactivatable firearms to still be in circulation, or is it they know there is no problem?

As I understand it the new magazine restrictions were the gift of the then Home Secretary, now the PM.

'Defectively deactivated' is just a form of words used to describe that it is illegal to transfer a deact not done to the current spec. It is irrelevant - as the law is currently written - whether it has been literally 'defectively deactivated' or not. Of course this doesn't make much sense in the real world for reasons you've mentioned, but there we are. I'd guess a court case would revolve around whether the physical status of the deact concerned was a moot point or not?

I think a realistic best case scenario when Section 128 is re-written, is that some previous UK spec deacts get 're-recognised' for the purposes of transfer. This could take the form of something like the obsolete calibre list; e.g. 'X weapon type deactivated to Y spec is legal to transfer', etc. Or just a blanket 'anything post-1995'. Whether the Home Office wants to / can be bothered is another matter.