Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Souvenir from Ypres

The Scorer

When I was in Ypres in September, I bought a tin of sweets, as you do - well, it's either that or chocolate, which I also bought!

However, I was interested in the design of the tin, which has on it seven pictures of places in Belgium. These are: The Albert Memorial, Nieuport, 1938; The Trenches of Death, Dixmuide, 1915; The Menin Gate, Ypres, 1927; Ypres Halles on Fire, 1914; Talbot House Toc H, Poperinghe, 1915; The Noble House, Furnes, 1914; and Town Hall, Furnes, 1914.

Now, I'm of course familiar with the first five that are listed, but I know very little about the last two. The alternative name for Furnes seems to be Veurne, and it's near to the Belgian coast not far from Dunkirk. I wondered, though, why this place should be ranked with the (seemingly) much more important and significant places that are also on the tin.

The only thing that I have been able to find about the place is the entry on the town in Wikipedia, which in part says "During World War I, Veurne was located within the Yser pocket of Belgian resistance against the German troops. During the Battle of the Yser, the Veurne city hall became the headquarters for the Belgian troops under King Albert I and a military hospital was set up in the city".

However, does this mean that it was a very significant place, or not? Also, why would these two buildings be selected - and what in particular was "The Noble House"? Just to satisfy my natural curiosity (okay, my nosiness!), can anyone help, please?

Thank you.

About the Noble House, I assume it's the house on this website?

Text is mostly in Dutch, but it also reads in English:

'This Renaissance building, whose foundations date from around 1300, housed an inn, Gasthove die Nobele Rose (L'Hotellerie de la Nobele Rose) from 1891 to 1928.

During the First World War, when the headquarters of Belgian forces under King Albert I were for a time in Veurne, officers from the headquarters staff made the inn their home.'

'In 1915 the building was severely damaged by German shellfire. Thanks to the generosity of members of the American Hotel Association the Building and its inn were restored after the war.

For her part in managing the hotelkeepers restoration campaign, Victoria French Allen was officially recognized as godmother of the restored inn.

She had been a guest at Die Nobele Rose in 1914, accompanying her husband Ben S. Allen who came to Veurne to interview King Albert I for American newspapers.'

'For many years the building served as the office of a bank. This plaque commemorates its second restoration as Die Nobele Rose in the year 2000.

William H. Allen, son of Ben and Victoria Allen, has been named godfather of the restored inn for his assistance in the restoration and in tribute to the continuing relationship of the United States to Veurne and its historic inn.'

Roel

Any pictures? :thumbsup:

No, I'm afraid not - but see below.

About the Noble House, I assume it's the house on this website?

Yes, that looks like the one, and thanks for the description.

The reason I can't be sure if it's right is that it's not an image of a complete house, but one with bomb damage, i.e. the front upper storey and the roof are damaged.

Thank you both - any other thoughts, please?